probable reason for brain fog!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cookie

Hi Everyone!
I'm sending a short paragraph from an article I read about a new procedure for by-pass surgery. In the paragraph they are explaining the effects of going on the heart-lung machine. I'm sure there are a few other reasons for "pump headedness" but here are a few more. I'm just looking for reasons for my having post-it notes everywhere!:D

It's a procedure that's classic, it's been perfected to the finest detail," Lattouf tells WebMD. But for patients, the shock to the body -- of having their heart stopped and blood circulated through a machine -- has been considerable, he says.

"It impacts the whole body," he explains. "There is the possibility of infection because the blood is exposed to foreign material like tubing. The lungs are especially affected; they soak up much water so there is delay in returning to normal. There is evidence that the brain also soaks up water, so it may take several days or weeks to fully recover intellectual function."

1 | 2

Information that I've read offers the water as an explanation for "floaters" that many people experience after their surgery. I had the visual disturbances quite often right after my surgery and still do occasionally, but certainly not as frequently as I once did. I'm totally convinced that heart surgery, or any surgery, for that matter, has a great effect on all parts of your body. Some disappear quickly; others lingers for months and years.

I have developed floaters in the last 2-3 yrs. It's been 3 yrs since my bypass surgery. Maybe this is the reason - and the ones I have now don't go away. It hinders my sight to some degree - doesn't let enough light in. And the eye dr says nothing can be done for floaters. Thanks for this info.

Latest posts

Back