Price of test strips

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

In a recent post I noted that QAS charged me $80 for 12 strips used with my new Hemosense INR meter. The regular price is $ 120 ( still not too bad ). I received the professinal discount they give MD's. I got my friend Brian in all kinds of trouble with his bosses by sharing this price with my friends on vr.com.

Will ins. cover the cost for the meter or the strips?
How often do you have to test when you do it yourself?

Hey Dave S
The best thing to do is contact your ins. company. Some will cover and some won't, or contact QAS and they can help you out with this also. They were a big help with me getting my home testing set up.
My ins. company said that since there was not a In-Network provider that provided these, they would let me use QAS as a In-Network provider. So they covered the testing unit and all the supplies at 80/20, otherwise it would have been 60/40.
By the way that is my name also :D Dave S
Take Care

Hi Marty!

Hope all is well with you and yours. May I ask why the change in monitors? If you have some insider info. Please share. How do the (2) units compare to the lab, etc?

Why Hemosense?

Why Hemosense?

Hi Gina (my first internet valve buddy), Why did I buy a Hemosense INRatio when I already have a Coaguchek? Good question. I buy a lot of techie stuff I really don't need. One of my activities is to help friends and people referred from my cardiologist and surgeon who need some reassurance with their testing technique and use of their monitors. A recent case involved a young man about 6 years post aortic valve who began to get badly conflicting results between his Coaguchek and the central lab He called and wanted to test side by side with my Coaguchek. I had been thinking about my 7 year old Coaguchek and wondering how accurate it was. I decided it was time to try the new Hemosense. My friend came over last Saturday after getting a lab vein stick and we began the tests. We each had 3 finger sticks before we were through.. I won't bore with the details but we think the central lab has a problem. The Coagucheks and the Hemosense were all pretty close. How close is close enough? I don't know. Thats the key question.
Today my INR with Hemosense was 3.2 with a PT of 31.7". My INR with Coaguchek was 2.7 with PT of 20"! I'd like to know, maybe Al could help, why the seconds vary so and give their respective INR's.
It must be due to the isi (sensitivity) of the thromboplastin but how?
The INR results were both in the therapeutic range. Are they close enough?
I like the INRatio. It is compact and user friendly. I intend to test side by side for the next few weeks. I'll let you know the results. Warm regards.

Hi Marty,

Good to hear research is keeping you busy these days.

Very interesting comparisons. Yes, we would like to think the Coagucheck is in "check". My unit has been very tight thus far. Just hoping it stays that way. Still have not been covered for supplies by BCBS. Need to re-check. Been awhile since I tried to submit.

Give my best to Alice.

PS. We may make it out to D.C., finally this summer. Will keep you posted. Would be great to meet one of these days!

Gina,
BCBS is covering my supplies, so you may want to check again. We just started with BCBS this year. I also understand that the coverage varies depending on what the company package is.

Hi Karlynn,

Thank you. Please tell me how you code your claim form! We have the PPO....so it should not be an issue.

I called my insurance company first TUFTS and they use Raytell for the monitors. As long as I went thru them, they cover my monitor and supplies 100%. I just got my INRatio today! I am so excited to start home testing. My INR and been alittle crazy lately and it is a pain to go to the lab every week when I can do the test at home. The coumadin nurse said I am the first patient to home test at that clinic.
Kathy H

In UK they're available on the National Health

In UK they're available on the National Health

Here in the UK, the test strips, but not the meter or calibration kit, are available via a doctor's prescription which makes them effectively free. There is the usual small prescription charge unless you're of pensionable age. My doctors are very happy that I'm self testing as it saves me cluttering up their clinic on a regular basis. I'm happy because the last thing I want to do is regularly sit and wait in a room full of sick people waiting to see other doctors.

Latest posts

Back