Pretty good before-hand book

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozycat

Live in Mojave, Ca., "first private spaceport in t
About a month before my surgery for AVR on 2/13, I happened into a Border's Bookstore and found a book entitled "Your Heart An Owner's Guide" by John Elefteriades, MD and Lawrence S Cohen, MD. I also own Adam Pick's book but found myself referring to "Your Heart" very often as questions would come up in my mind and I felt the need to have some kind of answer "immediately". It's written at a patient level and I found it comforting to have around. Of course, it cannot replace this Forum, but sometimes in those deep hours of the night waiting for surgery, it was a pretty good comfort.

Midge

Thanks for the rec, Coz. This sounds more up my alley than Pick's book (I kept correcting his grammar), and something to have for my husband to use as reference while I'm out of it.

"Your Heart An Owner's Guide" by John Elefteriades, MD and Lawrence S Cohen, MD.

I agree--I found it useful before and after, and still use it sometimes to help understand questions on the forum.

After having surgery, meeting people who have had surgery and reading countless accounts on VR.com, I realize that many of Adam Pick's experiences are not typical. Does anyone know of any other "personal experience" books?

The only ones I could come up with when I looked last year were not typical either:
They Tore Out My Heart and Stomped That Sucker Flat (1982)--Lewis Grizzard, the humor writer who died as a result of his fourth valve replacement.
State of the Heart: A Medical Tourist's True Story of Lifesaving Surgery in India Maggi Ann Grace - 2007. The self-employed North Carolina carpenter who chose to have surgery in India.

I think Ross's right, that the best "experience stories" can be found right here on this forum. I haven't found anything else more helpful except for straight-ahead medical reference books.

Back