Prednasone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alicia

I ended up with a terrible reaction to either the antibiotic (Doxcycline) or Zoloft I have been on for a week now. Last night I ended up with a terrible rash/hives all over my legs,feet,and thighs. I went to my family dr and he gave me a 6 day course of Prednasone and cortozone cream. I didnt think to call my Duke Drs and run it by them. I will call them 1st thing Monday am.

My question is, do you think they may postpone my surgery due to the Prednasone? I will finish it up a week before my surgery is scheduled. Im so nervous now thinking they might and I have so many plans made not to mention Im psyced up about it and ready to get it over. Help please, I dont know much about that medicine and I didnt think to ask the Dr about the surgery question, but he knows Im scheduled for the surgery.

HI Alicia-

You need to run this by the surgeon. Prednisone does something to healing ability. Maybe because it's a short course, it won't be so bad. I really don't know. The surgeon should be made aware of it.

Nancy, I took a total of 4 today, Do you think I should stop taking it until I talk to my surgeon on Monday?

By all means tell the surgeon. Being that it is short term, I doubt that it will affect anything. Now if it were long term, such as I had for 5 years, that's a whole different story.

Alicia-

You can't just stop taking Prednisone. You have to be tapered off it. Talk to the surgeon before doing anything.

Are they having you do a dose pak? 4 today 3 tomorrow, etc.?

What strength are they, 10mg?

Don't stop them. Just tell the surgeon.

Im taking the tapered dose. I paged the doctor on call (family dr) and she said since it is short term it be okay since It will be out of my system for 7 days and the last few days she said the dose is such a low dose but still call surgeons on Monday and let them know. She also said you cant just stop Prednisone. Lesson learned. I took an oatmeal bath and that really helped with the mad itching I was having. Thanks Nancy and Ross for your quick responses. What would I do without you guys?

Hugs, Alicia

Latest posts

Back