Pre-surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mike anthony

I'm schedule to go in for aortic valve surgery 3/6/03. In June of 2002 I had an aneuerysm repaired using the "The David Procedure", this did not work and now they need to replace the aortic valve. My question, my first surgery I was in hosp. for 4 days; is the stay longer for valve replacement? I have elected to go with a tissue valve. I don't post much, but I have always enjoyed reading and learning from this site. Thanks

Mike,
I was only in for four days with my valve replacement.
I have heard some people were out in three days.
I suppose it depends on your age and physical condition at the time.
I was 58 at that time and reasonably healthy but I wasn't any kind of health nut.

Rich, thank you. I'm 49 and have been very active my whole life. This last year was the first time I haven't played basketball in the last 44 years. I'm looking forward to getting this done right and resuming a normal life.

Mike - Best of luck with the surgery. I was 47 for my surgery two years ago. I chose a homograft (human valve) for my aortic replacement. I was in the hospital for 10 days, however the average is shorter.

Another question I forgot to ask, has anyone else had the David Procedure done, where it was not successful? and how long before you had surgery to replace the valve? For those of you who don't know about the David Procedure, this is were they try to save the native aortic valve. Also known has an aortic valve sparing procedure. Thanks

Regarding the David Procedure

Regarding the David Procedure

Hi Mike,
I was wondering what expectations were set for you in terms of how long your own "spared" valve would last? It is a judgment call that the surgeon/cardiologists make in terms of assessing the condition of the valve and how long it will last, and thus sparing it. I would think that they expected your own valve to last much longer. Did they give any reason why it is failing so soon? I am so sorry that you are needing valve surgery in less than a year after the aneurysm surgery. Have they described the surgery that will be done this time? I assume they will leave the aorta alone, and just replace the valve.
Take care,
Arlyss

Arlyss, at the time of my surgery, Dr. Verrier thought my valve would last the "duration", I assume he meant my life time. I remember waking up from surgery and the first question I asked Dr. Verrier; were you able to save my native valve. His answer was yes and I was totally relieved. To answer your question on what happened, they will not be able to tell until my operation, but based on the TEE test I had done they think it might be one of the "leaflets" has flipped over or it might be a suture. Concerning the aorta, that is a question I asked last month and he stated they would not need to do anymore restructuring.

Since my surgery and it not being successful. I have done some research on the David Procedure and the chances of having a second operation within the first 2 years is high. I don't remember having this discussion with Dr. Verrier, but I was probably not thinking very clear at the time. I know in my heart I would have had him try to save the valve. He is one of the best heart surgeons in the Northwest and I trust his judgement completely.

Actually, there is still a chance they be be able to repair the valve, but I'm not counting on it. Thank you.

hey mike anthony. how is eddie, alex sammy and david lee doing. you were my favorite band back in the 70-s & 80's.

seriously, valvers are usually in the hospital for 5-7 days. i was in for 5. i also got a tissue except mine oinks. they ( the experts or in my opinion the fortune tellers ) claim that it should last over 20 years. at my age i hope so.

tough break on the repair. the truth is they never really know how long the repair will last. unfortanetly for u it didn't last long. good luck with the AVR next month.

richie rich

Hi MIke,

Dr. Verrier put in a bovine tissue valve in me last March, and I was out in 4 days. He never mentioned the David Procedure to me, perhaps because of the severe stenosis.

Is he doing the valve replacement? I would feel comfortable with him doing a second when the time comes. (and it will). Best of luck, make sure to let us know how your progressing.

Regarding The David Procedure

Regarding The David Procedure

It might be helpful to mention that the David procedure and modifications of it that other surgeons have developed essentially address surgery of the aortic root and allow various options for the aortic valve - sparing, repairing, or replacing. This is different from aortic surgery where a composite graft is implanted. A composite graft type of surgery is an "all in one" replacement of the aortic valve, the root, and some part of the ascending aorta as needed. With the David procedure, the valve is separate from the Aortic graft, so there are more options.
My husband's aortic surgery was a modified David procedure. In his case, they examined his Hall-Medtronic mechanical valve, which had been in place for 11 years, to be sure that it was still good. It was, and so it was "spared". The other point about his surgery was that the coronary arteries were left attached to his native aortic tissue. I know of others who have had a modified David procedure and their valves were either spared or replaced by bovine pericardial tissue valves. Bovine pericardial tissue valves have been implanted long enough now to have very good reports regarding their long term durability in the medical literature.
Mike, the bright side of all this is that the aortic aspect of your first surgery went well, and altho' your valve needs to be addressed, you will soon have a great one made of bovine tissue!
Mainframe, since you are/were bicuspid, there is potential of your aorta dilating in the future, as was the case with my husband. I hope you can work with your doctors to monitor your aorta going forward.
Arlyss

Last edited:
I checked in the hosp. on Mon am from the ER and had my pig valve replaced by a mechanical around 7pm Tues. I went home on Sat. I think 4 days is pretty standard now. It seems short but you are ready to get home, believe me.
Gail

Good luck nest week

Good luck nest week

Hi Mike,

I just wanted to let you know I had a bovine AV replacement exactly one year ago today.

I was 59 at the time and in pretty good shape. I was operated on Tuesday morning and sent home Sunday afternoon. I stayed an extra day because of an adverse reaction to the percoset they had me on for the first two days. (I was really out of it.) Once they stopped that, my recovery was very smooth.

It's been a great year for me. I'm sure you'll do just fine too. I'll be thinking of you next week and watching for your post-op posts.

Ron K

Thank you for all your input. I'm one week away and looking forward to getting this surgery over. All of your support has been great. I will let you know how it went once I get home.

Hi Mike-

I put you on the calendar. I don't know how I missed it. Must have been fooling around with Joe's problems when you first posted.

This week will go by fairly fast. There are lots of last minute details to do. It will be nice to have the surgery behind you so you can go on with your life in confidence.

Wishing you all the best.

Good Luck on the 6th

Good Luck on the 6th

Hi Mike - In case you haven't figured it out by now, you'll have a lot of folks rooting for you on the 6th, and we will be anxious to hear how you did, so either update us as soon as you feel like it, or have one of your friends visit the web site for an update. Sounds like you have a good attitude about all of this and that is very important-You will do well and we look forward to a good report. Chris

hi mike!
as you can see, some folks end up staying longer than others. in joey's case, they thought they would send him home after 4 days, but he went into afib on that day and they kept him another 3 days to regulate that and some meds.
hopefully you will be one of the "quickies" and leave the hospital after just a few days.
how are you doing with the "pre-surgical wait"?
that is usually the hardest part.
just try and keep busy and come in and chat with us; we'll keep you company.
do you have someone who can post and let us know how your surgery goes while you are in the hospital?
if so, great. if not, please be sure to let us know how you are as soon as you can.
wishing you all the best, sylvia

Back