Pre-Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Adam

Hello Everyone,
My name is Adam and I am brand new to his site. I am currently 38 years of age and suffer from aortic stenosis due to a bicuspid valve. I am scheduled to have valve replacement surgery via the Ross procedure on Thurs. Aug.22, 2002 at the Heart Institure of Baptist Hospital in Knoxville, TN. My surgeon will be Dr. T. Pollard. My question to all of you (especially those who have had the Ross) is what to expect in terms of the days and months following the surgery. I've read alot of informative stories and posts on this great web-site. If anyone would like to share their experiences with me including what role close family members will play, i would very much appreciate it. Also, I'm especially dreading the moments when I "come to" after the surgery (breathing tubes, IV's, chest tubes, etc.) so any info or advice on what to expect or how to deal would be appreciated. Thank you all and I look forward to reading your responses.
Adam

Hi Adam-

Welcome to this great site. You have lots of new friends already. Everyone here understands what the surgery is all about.

My husband has had 3 valve surgeries, not the Ross procedure though, but others have had that and they'll be along to help you.

Best wishes and hope to see you posting often.

Hi Adam-
I had the Ross last year, 7-12-2001.
I had a congenital aortic stenosis with insufficiency.

What to expect? well, the first few days right after are pretty sore. I went in on a Thursday for surgery and was home by about noon on Monday.
After you get home you will want to sleep. but, it's hard to get comfy on your back or sides in a bed. If you have a recliner that would be great. You'll have little appetite and things won't taste right. A lot of what you will experience just after the surgery is left over from the anesthesia and the time on the by-pass pump.

It seems big and scary, but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I thought I'd be sick as anything after, but wasn't. It's just sore and tiring.

Do the walking exercies and breathing exercises.

I felt about 100% better right after the surgery. Now, I can't believe the difference. I can't remember when I had this much energy.

The intibation tube was yanked before I was conscious, so don't worry. You'll probably never know it was there except you'll be dying of thirst when you wake up. I tried to give the recovery room nurse my car for a drink of water, it didn't work. Once you are kind of awake they yank that sucker so you won't fight it.

You will need a close family member with you for at least the first 2-3 weeks. You will not be able to lift anything, bend over, put socks on, shorts, underwear, or shower without someone nearby.
Mostly it felt like having a big shell on my chest where the incision was, it was hard to navigate. You don't realize how much those chest muscles are used until they are traumatized by surgery.

Just try to relax and do all the exercises the doc gives you. That is so important, I wish I had done more right after. Now I am trying to play "catch-up" to where I wish I was.

E-mail me if you have any specific questions
[email protected]

-Mara

hi adam!
welcome to this site; it is a wonderful and supportive place.
my husband, joey, had his ross procedure on sept. 20, '01.
i think mara pretty much covered it all...
just try and be patient during your recovery.
joey and i thought that he would recover fairly quickly based on what we'd read on this forum.
unfortunately, he had some setbacks at the beginning and along the way, but is now feeling better than he has ever felt!!! they say it takes a good year to really feel the difference. well, we didn't believe that.
it did take a very long time though. joey had a lot of discomfort in the beginning and took his pain meds religiously.
also, he could not get comfy in the bed and needed about 8 pillows (between which he positioned himself)!
i don't think the recovery or the way you feel immediately after the surgery is any different from any other vr surgery. i just think you are on the pump a little longer and maybe you might need additional anesthesia (?).
please feel free to email me also, at: [email protected] and i'll be happy to give you my phone number so you can call if you have any questions.
good luck and please keep us posted, sylvia

Hi Adam and

Hi Adam and

Welcome to this wonderful site. I'm Evelyn of Evelyn and Tyce. My husband had AVR this past June 26. We can't help you with the Ross procedure as he had a mechanical valve put in, however, I know many someone else's on this site who can.

I can tell you that you definitely will need someone around for the first few weeks to help you in any way possible. As Mara said, you never thought you needed those chest muscles until you don't have them for a bit. Tyce had trouble with a few things, one was getting out of bed. A few words of advice that helped us when Tyce came home from the hospital: 1. If you don't have one, buy a recliner, they're a godsend. 2. Go to Walmart or someplace like that and buy a body pillow. They're a great booster pillow so you're propped up in bed. 3. Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk as much and as soon as you can post surgery, and keep on walking. 4. If they give you an inspiration spirometer with the Ross procedure, (which I would assume they do) use it as much as you can--while you're cursing it in the beginning, it definitely helps ward off pneumonia and gets your lungs back working to full capacity.

While the whole idea of surgery seems daunting, please know that you will more than likely be fine. Try not to worry (I know, much easier said than done!!!) Just get to the best surgeon you can, at the best hospital, and then let it go with God. My buddy, Ross, told me that along with many others on this list, and they're absolutely right.

Please know that everyone here is genuine and concerned about you, and if Tyce and I can do anything to help, just let us know.

Evelyn and Tyce

Hey Adam - welcome to the site - I just looked at the calendar and you are already there for 8/22. This is an edgy time for you pre-surgery, but just hang in, it will be over soon. Is someone going to let us know how you get on during surgery. We always wait for news when one of us goes 'up the mountain'. God bless

Hello Everyone,

Just a short note to thank all of you for your words of kindness and encouragement, six days to go and I'm feeling much more confident. Thanks again!!

Adam

Me Too

Me Too

Adam,

I am going to have my valve replaced too next wednesday (8/21). I am 32. I know EXACTLY what you are feeling. What made it worse, is that Iwas supposed to have had the surgery on 8/5. After months of putting myself in the mindset to get this done the morning of the surgery, I had a fever and had to postpone it!

I am like you, and listen to the experiences and stories, but am scared s**tless too.

Remember man, you ARE NOT alone.

Good luck to you.

Dave

Thanks Dave, it looks as if we're going in at the same time. I'll be thinking about you. Afterwards we can compare notes. Take care,
oh if you want to get in touch with me my email is [email protected]. GOOD LUCK!

Adam

Becky, Dave and Adam

Becky, Dave and Adam

We will all be thinking of you 3 next week, Becky the 20th, Dave, the 21st and Adam the 22nd... DON'T worry..You all will be just fine. I am not quite 5 months but feeling great..I DON'T remember being in the OR..They time the good stuff to hit as you are wheeled thru door..I DON'T remember ICU..Here again the drip is great..I DON't remember the tubes..I remember waking up in private room with daughter grinning at me....Nothing will taste good:p :p Please get uo and walk around nurses's station. Usually in the middle of ward.They will have you hooked up to a moniter so they will see if you are o.k...and then you will be home in 4-5 days...Get everyone to wait on you:D :D It won't take long for them to figure out you are goldbricking on them..so enjoy..but walk,walk, walk, that nasty stuff:eek: :eek: out of your system..Let us know? Bonnie

Latest posts

Back