Pre-Surgery Short Term Disability Issues

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

boomersooner

Howdy

Has anyone dealt with Unum Provident for their short term disability when you had surgery? They are a real pain in the butt. It is about a week before surgery and they are messing me around and waiting until the last minute on everything. At first they denied my claim! It?s open heart surgery for crying out loud! I was just wondering if anyone has any tips when dealing with their short term disability benefits at work.

Thanks
Jared

Jared:

I had to deal with United Health Care's STD carrier. When I was talking to my claims agent pre-op, I think he pulled out a book and said, "Looks like we can cover you for 5 weeks STD," even though the list didn't specify valve replacement, only CABG. It was just like taking a car into the dealership for a transmission overhaul!

I told them that my surgeon & cardiologist had already said they wanted me off for 7 weeks post-op.

I got it, in addition to 2 weeks pre-op.

Plus, when I returned to work, I went back part-time (20 hours a week) for 4 weeks. STD covered the other 20 hours a week. If I went back full time and then had complications, I'd have to go another 5 days either w/out pay or on vacation before STD would kick back in. So, going back half-time allowed me to gradually get back into the swing of "normal" work life.

I wouldn't think an STD company could say yea or naye as to your surgery. After all, this isn't a breast enhancement procedure or tummy tuck. :D

Well I called them again and I think we got everything worked out. Having to deal with this stuff just adds to the stress! I have up to 12 weeks of STD. The doc said I will probably be back to work in around 8 weeks but I will be working part time for a few weeks. It seems that the surgery is only half the battle, the other half is fighting with insurance and your STD people! Thanks for the feedback.

my empathies

my empathies

I understand!
I am glad you both eventually were covered for some STD.

I had The Hartford and was also denied my short term disability as my surgery was anticipated (Argh!) I did not look into this before surgery as I assumed it would be paid given the need for such a procedure..

I strongly urge people to look into teh criteria to be paid out from short term disability before assuming it will cover you.. that was my mistake...

Crazy system we have here..

Latest posts

Back