Pre surgery process seems rushed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunwanted

I finally started my process doing all necessary test st Cleveland clinic (florida location since it was closer my location).

I felt a bit of rushed since after like 3 days of doing the test they contacted me telling my if i can come monday or tuesday to get some other tests and then hsve the surgery on friday ( on the Cleveland ohio location).

I felt too rushed so i declined and told me i will be contacting them on November since i have to get some affairs in order before, also i not spoken to nay surgeons only cardiologist but they told me i would to that in the same week

What are you guys experience with the Cleveland clinic or any clinic was this process awalys this fast?

I can't comment because I don't have experience them (being in a different place). The experience you have is what you know. It may not be what others get or have.

I'm just saying this as a way of saying that you did the right thing because you focused on your needs not their process. Never forget that you're dealing with an organisation, not a person in these cases.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
I finally started my process doing all necessary test st Cleveland clinic (florida location since it was closer my location).

I felt a bit of rushed since after like 3 days of doing the test they contacted me telling my if i can come monday or tuesday to get some other tests and then hsve the surgery on friday ( on the Cleveland ohio location).

I felt too rushed so i declined and told me i will be contacting them on November since i have to get some affairs in order before, also i not spoken to nay surgeons only cardiologist but they told me i would to that in the same week

What are you guys experience with the Cleveland clinic or any clinic was this process awalys this fast?
I used Cleveland (twice). Chose my surgeon first, then asked for next available openings in his schedule. Luckily he had a fairly quick opening, which I needed due to urgency. It was about 2 weeks out.
I would ask what surgeon is being assigned and do some research of them to see if you are comfortable, and start looking at other potential surgeons that work there. Request a Zoom mtg with the surgeon. Have your questions prepared in advance.
I can fully recommend mine, Dr. Lars Svensson. He has ALOT of experience and practice. He is very direct and to the point. Good luck!

Follow unicusp advice. They have enough test you know you need the surgery so pick a surgeon if you go with the flow they will just assign a surgeon he may be brand new or maybe have thousands of surgerys under his belt.Are you looking at the weston clinic? I would check out this surgeon the head of weston cardiac .

Jose Navia, MDhttps://my.clevelandclinic.org/staff/2799-jose-navia#reviews​

If you go to the CC website, they have bios of their surgeons and many have a brief video interview. I used this info to select my surgeon of choice. Like unicusp, I then contacted his office (in Cleveland) and requested that he review the test results that I had forwarded to him and determine if he thought I was a candidate for surgery and if he would perform it. His nurse contacted me by phone and indicated that he thought I should have the surgery and gave me options for a date based on his schedule. I had to wait about 6 weeks for the first available opening.

Even though I live in Florida, I went to Cleveland because my impression was that their very best people are there. They are geared to out of town patients and I made one visit of 11 days for all tests, surgery and a few days of recovery. 3 hotels within walking distance - so no need for a rental car, parking, etc. which was great for my wife. She had no commute to deal with while I was there - just a 1 block walk to the clinic from the hotel. I never spoke to the surgeon until the day prior to surgery and then, only about 20 minutes. And I never saw him after the surgery. Follow up was with interns and PAs.

It's a well oiled machine that is focused on high volume and high standards. 5 or 6 heart surgeries at the same time as me on the day that I was there and my surgeon did 2 a day for 2 days a week in addition to his management duties. My wife and I came away with a very positive impression of how it is run. Everyone has a very specific job to do in a very specific way. And they tend to be very, very good at it.

The surgeon that I chose was one of their best. However, he left CC to head up Cardiac surgery at Northwestern and to be a professor there.

HTH

Good job following your instincts and doing what’s right for you.

Here in America, most of the major surgery centers are leaning toward the patient just being a number … and cranking through operation after operation by default. That’s not me saying that all are that way … just the default way of doing things when there’s not a squeaky patient who pushes for their own needs.

Keep your needs up front. If I could do it all over again I would try to find a surgeon as competent as the one I had … but one who was part of an ecosystem that truly focuses on the patient and not the bottom dollar.

Hello Everyone, thank you very much for all the information i will take it into account.

i am already searching for a surgeon, my problem is that i have to do everything through their global patient assistance and she sets the appointments for me, she seems a bit disorganized.

i will try to set an appointment to go do all my tests in cleveland clinic in the main campus (as when i was in the florida location they told me not to do the tests since they will do them directly in the ohio location). so they can review it and if there is an opening where i can do my surgery the following week i will take it as i dont wanna lose more time with this, also cannot be losing any more time and money flying to the US and back.

i already have around 5 surgeons in mind which have excellent reviews, hopefully they will be open if not ill just have to wait.

I went to Cleveland on a Sunday, had all of my tests on Mon - Wed, and surgery Thurs AM. ICU until Fri afternoon. Step down unit until Mon afternoon. Back to hotel until Wed appt. with PA to get clearance to travel. Flew home Thurs AM. Your schedule may vary from that, but what I experienced was their standard schedule for out of town patients with no complications.

There should be a concierge at the main clinic in Cleveland. She can get you a discounted rate at the adjacent hotels. She should also arrange a complimentary private car service to take you back and forth from the Cleveland airport to the clinic once you have a surgery appointment. No need to rent a car unless you have some other reason to do so. Cleveland will be quite a bit colder than your home, so warmer clothes are recommended.

HTH

I went to Cleveland on a Sunday, had all of my tests on Mon - Wed, and surgery Thurs AM. ICU until Fri afternoon. Step down unit until Mon afternoon. Back to hotel until Wed appt. with PA to get clearance to travel. Flew home Thurs AM. Your schedule may vary from that, but what I experienced was their standard schedule for out of town patients with no complications.

There should be a concierge at the main clinic in Cleveland. She can get you a discounted rate at the adjacent hotels. She should also arrange a complimentary private car service to take you back and forth from the Cleveland airport to the clinic once you have a surgery appointment. No need to rent a car unless you have some other reason to do so. Cleveland will be quite a bit colder than your home, so warmer clothes are recommended.

HTH
Thank you very much Crooser this info is very helpful.

i am coordinating everything, your pleasant experience gives me a lot of peace of mind.

Hello Everyone, thank you very much for all the information i will take it into account.

i am already searching for a surgeon, my problem is that i have to do everything through their global patient assistance and she sets the appointments for me, she seems a bit disorganized.

i will try to set an appointment to go do all my tests in cleveland clinic in the main campus (as when i was in the florida location they told me not to do the tests since they will do them directly in the ohio location). so they can review it and if there is an opening where i can do my surgery the following week i will take it as i dont wanna lose more time with this, also cannot be losing any more time and money flying to the US and back.

i already have around 5 surgeons in mind which have excellent reviews, hopefully they will be open if not ill just have to wait.
Hopin' and prayin' that you will be guided in choosing your surgeon. All the best in your preparation.

Just a quick follow up, just recieved my itinerary for my operation i am due to arrive 5 days before surgery for pre testing and then meeting with a surgeon, i have not yet spoken to a surgeon, i bielieve i will still need to wait for results since they have to evaluate my specific case, they dont trust my previous tests since they were made in dominican republic.

i also asked for a virtual appointment so he can explain the whole process for my parents and brothers peace of mind since they are more worried about me then i actually am LOL.

i thought i would be scared, but im exited as i want to finish this process.

Surgery is due on November 21st, 2022.

Great to hear. Just so you know, Cleveland is very particular about testing. They didn't accept my test results from a large hospital in Pittsburgh. When there you'll see why. The testing is very thorough. For example, the cardiac echo took about 45 minutes vs 15 minutes at a local hospital. You'll be in good hands. Relax and expect a great outcome.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

i was assigned surgeon MD, Haytham Elgharably he seems to have a good medical record and good academic history so im fine with the surgeon they have assigned, i will have a more information once i have a virtual meeting with him.

Great to hear. Just so you know, Cleveland is very particular about testing. They didn't accept my test results from a large hospital in Pittsburgh. When there you'll see why. The testing is very thorough. For example, the cardiac echo took about 45 minutes vs 15 minutes at a local hospital. You'll be in good hands. Relax and expect a great outcome.
[cynic]And they can’t bill you if they just go accepting anyone else’s tests! How will they pay for all the equipment!?![/cynic]

😁

Some small tips from me for the CC, for once you’re on a step-down floor, after you leave the ICU.

1. Get your surgeon to allow you to sleep at night without nurses coming in every couple hours to weigh you, take your blood, etc. there’s a name for this ‘permission’ but I can’t remember it - once you have it they’ll put a sign on your room door and you can get done good sleep.

2. There were 3 or 4 disturbingly sadistic nurses, particularly the blood-taking ones, so please be prepared to stick up for yourself. If they leave the rubber band on your arm (before drawing blood) but then walk away, take it off yourself. If they’re being really mean, you can refuse the test and get someone else to do it.

3. Keep an eye on how much warfarin they’re giving you. (If you’re going mechanical, that is) You’ll be busy thinking of other things, but if they ‘accidentally’ forget to give you warfarin one day, and then your INR isn’t in range, you’ll have to stay there extra days with a heparin drip till it is. At least 5 mg a day probably, to start.

Good luck.

Oh! One more thing - try & remember to stretch before the surgery, so you’ll have less neck and shoulder pain after (I guess it’s from them arranging your body how they want it on the operating table.)

Latest posts

Back