Pre-Surgery Checklist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

I've sponged up as much as I can over the last few weeks and we've completed the following "oddball" tasks, most of which I would not have thought of but for this website:

1. Acquired a recliner and put it in our bedroom
2. Called our insurer and verified full coverage
3. Reserved (potentially) a private room for Jill's recovery
4. Gathered all of Jill's medical records into one file
5. Got Jill a flu shot
6. Jill's weaning the baby (ugh)

Anything that we're forgetting? What are these "heart hugger" things that you guys talk about? Do we need one?

They gave Dick a Heart Pillow at the hospital and that worked fine. Don't forget the bag for the hospital: robe and slippers, book or magazine in case she has enough concentration, cd player or IPod, clothes to come home in, including a button down the front shirt, some petty cash for tv, etc. and personal hygiene products. Glad to see someone else besides me is a list maker! :D

BAV Pt's daughter said:
Seems to get mixed reviews from the women, as the boobies seem to get in the way of them, but maybe your hospital has them and she could try that way. Good luck.

Thanks. I don't think this will work for Jill.... Not only is she rather -- uh -- gifted, but she's sore as heck because she's weaning the baby.

My husband didn't have a heart hugger pillow but the nurse at Emory showed him how to use a regular pillow folded in half to help with coughs,etc. At home he used the throw pillow I keep on the couch. Don't forget some easy slip on slippers. I also took an afghan for me to use because they keep the hospital so cold. But, he ended up using it over his feet and legs in the recliner. He couldn't get warm enough.

I would suggest stocking up on easily prepared meals. Even if you are a good cook, you will want to spend time with Jill and Colin and not slaving away in the kitchen. Also, a variety of food as Jill's appetite will be such that what she likes now may not be what she wants after surgery.

Just a thought...we've also been told to pack clothes (and bras) that are loose-fitting now, because of soreness and swelling... Dont want anything constricting.

BAV Pt's daughter said:
Just a thought...we've also been told to pack clothes (and bras) that are loose-fitting now, because of soreness and swelling... Dont want anything constricting.
Trust me, forget the bras. Try a camisole if your mom can't bring herself to skip support altogether but I found a bra impossible.

geebee said:
Trust me, forget the bras. Try a camisole if your mom can't bring herself to skip support altogether but I found a bra impossible.
We have both. Got bigger bras that close in the front (sports bra type) just in case she feels the need. Thanks for the tip! I am sure we'll forget plenty. We leave tomorrow!!! Getting down to the last few moments now, it seems. The anxiety rises another notch.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

geebee said:
I would suggest stocking up on easily prepared meals. Even if you are a good cook, you will want to spend time with Jill and Colin and not slaving away in the kitchen. Also, a variety of food as Jill's appetite will be such that what she likes now may not be what she wants after surgery.

Cooking is basically my hobby -- one man's "slaving" is another's bliss, I guess. :) But point taken.

Christian said:
Cooking is basically my hobby -- one man's "slaving" is another's bliss, I guess. :) But point taken.
Could you be any more perfect? :D ;) Serously tho, Jill is very lucky to have you on her side (and, I am sure, you feel the reverse is true). You will both do fine.

You have it covered. However, along with the robe she'll need whatever the woman's version is for pajama bottoms. It was my most important item. You can't walk around in what they give you there.
Best of luck,
Tom

As strange as it sounds I would suggest panties. During my second stay the nurses said they recommend them for women - makes them feel more 'covered'. (Would also be useful for pantiliner or pad in case of surprise menstrual cycle that many women experience after surgery.)

FWIW, there was no way I could have worn a bra right after surgery.

Cris

Cris N said:
As strange as it sounds I would suggest panties. During my second stay the nurses said they recommend them for women - makes them feel more 'covered'. Cris
You mean you dont like those lovely victoria's secret model one-size fits all disposable ones they give you in the hospital? :eek: :eek: :eek:

geebee said:
Could you be any more perfect? :D ;) Serously tho, Jill is very lucky to have you on her side (and, I am sure, you feel the reverse is true). You will both do fine.

Will I be able to lift my arms?

Christian,

My best friend during my stay in icu was my mp3 player. My wife bought me a tiny little unit that I could hold right in my hand. They let me play it right after surgery until I was moved to the step-down unit the next morning. I can't say enough good things about lifescapes music cds. The most calming and uplifting music. Perfect for such a traumatic time.

And Debbie, they gave me no restrictions on movement of my arms, just how much I lift. Be aware there is usually a considerable amount of pain involved in overhead movements for awhile.

Randy

Christian,

I purchased a heart hugger but I found that a heart pillow given to me at the hospital worked best for me. In fact, though I don't "need" it anymore, I find I still use it as a supplementary pillow. Is comforting bit of security -- like a favorite blanket is to a baby, I suppose, Best wishes, sounds like you all are well prepared.

Rob

Back