Pre Medicating before dental procedures - Often discussed- conflicting information

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake

OK so does anyone have any links or good information from the ADA, AHA or any other association that states what the current state of affairs is with regard to pre-medication of people with aorta repairs?

This is just for those of us who have had an aortic repair, no valve work.

I am getting conflicting information from the cardiologist, dentist, urologist, and surgeon.

Now before anyone pipes up and says that the surgeon gets the last word, all I am asking is the same thing I asked the surgeon........

Please show me the current protocol and who issued it or what studies indicate the current use of prophylaxis for aortic repairs.

I can find plenty of stuff for heart valve recipients, people who had Rheumatic fever, and lots of other stuff, but not one protocol I could find addressed prosthetic aorta recipients specifically.

If you have a replacement section of aorta, what are you using, how much and who told you to do it for:

Dental procedures…
Cleaning
Tooth extraction
Cavity repair

Other procedures…
Cystoscopy (scope up the urethra)
Colonoscopy
Endoscopies

Anything I forgot…..

This is a toughie even for valvers. I have seen the Valve risks spelled out because of the specific risk of heart infection. Purely a guess, but an Aorta only repair may be classed more like a bypass. The debate in the UK is tending towards considering that there may be a greater risk from a prophylactic antibiotic than there is of infection for dentistry. Your proceedure list is interesting since I have enjoyed many of these (Before my valve job). Cystoscopy and colonoscopy no risk. Cystoscopy can cause bleeding, but this is contained and flushed out so should not affect the heart. I also had a prostate biopsy, which involves taking samples and carries a much higher infection risk - I took an antibiotic for this in advance.

Latest posts

Back