Pradaxa--Coumadin Alternative

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While in rehab with my hip, I got to witness some knee jobs and they were in far more pain then I was. You know how painful the hip is, so imagine that. :)

BINGO!!!!!!!

My sister's also had 2 knee joint replacements.

2 hip joint replacements, 2 knee joint replacements.

She's starting to be a bionic woman.

I've told her -- no heart valve replacements!!!!!!!!!!! I have the corner on that in my family. :D

:cool: Yes, of course, Ross. :)

Marsha.... :) Speaking only for myself, I had a great deal of anxiety while choosing which valve I preferred and clicking was a major concern of mine. My surgeon was very direct in telling me he could never predict who would have a loudly clicking valve and who would have one hardly heard or noticed. Body size and shape is not indicative according to him.

I agree joint replacement is very tough surgery and very, very hard rehab.

The first 2-3 months, yes, I could hear the clicking. But it was not bothersome, like some people think it would be.
But since then, the only time I hear it is in a tiled bathroom, usually when I lean up to the mirror to put on eye makeup. I seldom hear it when I'm lying in bed.
The sound is far less noisy and frightening than my failing valve was in the spring of 2003. It sounded like a huge leak in our plumbing pipes, and I tried to find where the leak was. Only to find the noise was coming from my heart. :mad:

I believe the ticking sound has been blown out of proportion by many people.

I agree, 1000%!
What if they really had something to worry about. :eek:

Dayton,
This post is beneath you. I am surprised you would be so dismissive of someone else's concerns when you have no way of knowing how serious they are or how numerous.

You have no idea what concerns any of us cope with yet you make such disrespectful comment. You do not know what worries I have (that even you might consider 'real') ..... or that anyone else has aside from you own.

Dayton,
This post is beneath you. I am surprised you would be so dismissive of someone else's concerns when you have no way of knowing how serious they are or how numerous.

You have no idea what concerns any of us cope with yet you make such disrespectful comment. You do not know what worries I have (that even you might consider 'real') ..... or that anyone else has aside from you own.

Its Christmas, time to chill out
I have a St Jude and I hate the CLICK CLICK
IN BED
IN THE BATHROOM
HAVING SEX
ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN
ETC. ETC. ETC.
Maybe my hearing is very good
But I never want to have AVR again
Happy Christmas

It's simply that in the grand scheme of things, ticking should be the very last thing to worry about. The whole reason for having surgery is to proceed with life, not worry about ticking, taking a pill, lifestyles and then list goes on and on. You may only get one chance, then again, you may not even get that one.

I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it. Heart surgery is serious and should not be taken with a cavalier attitude about how many times it can be done. People are too busy worrying about a designer valve then they are about their lives and that's not right.

The clicking may be a "frivolous" worry for some of you, but I can tell you, after 8 years, mine still drives me nuts. If I'm having any difficulty at all falling asleep, the clicking keeps me awake. Lack of sleep is NOT good for any of us. It exacerbates many underlying medical conditions that we may have.

Sleep is what helps us heal as much as we can, and when it's disrupted our bodies suffer. It is a legitimate concern. If you are someone who can only go to sleep in absolute quiet (I'm not), it is a consideration to make.

Numerous people, including Nancy, have suggested getting a "white noise" machine for your bedroom for people who feel that the mech valve noise is bothersome.

I had never heard a white noise machine until last month when I spent several days with my niece & her family in Brentwood MO. Her twin dtrs, born 11/2/08, have a white noise machine in their nursery. She says they sleep much better with one.

My PITA noise is my husband's CPAP machine!!! It does wake me up at times, but I realize that his quality of life has vastly improved by using it.

Pradaxa, eh

Pradaxa, eh

Hmmm

Several weeks ago an acquaintence had knee replacement surgery (high risk for clot formation) and was given something being "studied" as a warfarin replacement because warfarin requires so much management. It sounded like a good idea at the time.
Well, she clotted, her leg swelled almost twice its regular size. The good leg, that is, not the leg that was operated on. Had that clot migrated to her brain or heart we know what could have happened.
So I feel better with the devil I know--warfarin--than the one I don't and will probably feel this way for a good long time.
Now can something be done for the constant ringing in my ears? The ringing is so loud I can't hear my valve.:D

Numerous people, including Nancy, have suggested getting a "white noise" machine for your bedroom for people who feel that the mech valve noise is bothersome.

I understand how the white noise machine works, but for me I hear my valve "inside my head" if that makes any sense. The valve noise is always on top of other sounds. If I think about it ... even in a loud environment, I can hear my valve. During the day isn't bad, I'm busy and thinking about other things, but if I stop and think about it, I can hear my valve loud and clear.

A white noise machine might help keep my husband from hearing the valve though.

Again...the clicking is better than the alternative (being dead, needing a re-op in a couple of years, etc.)

I understand how the white noise machine works, but for me I hear my valve "inside my head" if that makes any sense. The valve noise is always on top of other sounds. If I think about it ... even in a loud environment, I can hear my valve. During the day isn't bad, I'm busy and thinking about other things, but if I stop and think about it, I can hear my valve loud and clear.

A white noise machine might help keep my husband from hearing the valve though.

Again...the clicking is better than the alternative (being dead, needing a re-op in a couple of years, etc.)

I can really relate to what Kristy is saying. I hear my valve all the time even though it is an On-x and supposed to be one of the "quietest" ones.
When I'm at work (teaching kindergarten) or busy at home it's easier to forget about it but at night or when I have time to myself I can really feel and hear it. And the last couple of times that I've gone into AF and had to go to hospital, then boy does everyone hear it!:( The latest time, the doctor was across the other side of the room, and he commented on how loudly it was clicking:eek:
In saying that, I have found things to help eg at night I have the radio on a talkback station so if I wake up I have something else to listen to besides my valve:) And having got used to it I can put up with it - better that than have to look at a re-op in ten or so years if I had gone the tissue route.
This is just my personal experience and opinion. People choose valves for their own reasons which I totally respect.

Hi folks,

Yes the debate goes on. To click or not to click. Coumadin or no coumadin.

Personally, and I am truly speaking only for myself though I may someday, in the future, have to take my chances with a re-op. I feel with my personality, I am almost certain that psychologically I would not fair very well with a mechanical valve. I am prone to anxiety, and am rather high strung. There is also no way the Dr's can predict just how loud a certain valve will be for each individual. The "ticking" may genuinely not be a "big deal" for some people, but for others it TRULY IS ! As far as coumadin I feel that would be something else I would not want to deal with everyday, day in and day out, for the rest of my life. I am a person that happens to be EXTREMELY SENSITIVE to alot of medications. I would contstantly be concerned about internal bleeding. Primary, bleeding in the brain. Some people have a very easy time keeping themselves within range, other do not. I would probably fall in the later category. There is no way of course, I could be absolutely certain of any of this, until after the fact. I believe it would also put me at somewhat of a disadvantage and complicate any medical procedure, or future surgeries I may have.

Regardless of what type of valve a person chooses, I definitely believe you should NEVER second guess yourself! I also believe you need to respect others in their valve selection choice.
I respect other people's valve choice. I really do believe it is a decision that you must make for YOURSELF with your Dr. What can you live with, and be content with?

Lance.

Oh, I have had my experience with acute tinnitus too! Still get it ocasionally. I still, after all these years, have a fan running at night!

Latest posts

Back