Post surgery physical restrictions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

plumitis

This is my second year with an artificial valve:

Because summer was coming up, just to be on the safe side, I asked my physician about any physical restrictions because of the valve replacement surgery. To my surprise, he said I should avoid lifting more than 15 lbs. because it could potentially affect the mechanical valve.
I believe the issue was one that was based more on how the chest area may push in and thus affect the heart and correspondingly interfere with the valve.
What is surprising, is that last year I carried landscape timbers and cut down a 50 foot maple tree.
I'm at the point where I am so focussed on the weight restricition that I sense myself losing muscle tone. Fundamentaly all I can do is walk as a form of exercise.
My only problems are that I had an aorta and a valve replaced and do have a history of blood pressure problems (hereditary). Otherwise I have no other specific problems. Has anyone encountered a situation like this?

I got the same answer from my Doc too!

I have lifted and pushed more then that, but I think we might be putting ourselves at a very unnecessary risk by doing so.

HI Plumitis-

Welcome to the site. It's the greatest. Do you think that possibly the restriction has something to do with the aorta replacement/ repair. I think many straight valve replacement people have a 40 pound limit or something like that.

But then again, not every operation is the same. Only the surgeon knows what he did for you.

plumitis,

To quote Hans and Franz, "Hear me now, believe me later".

I've talked with my surgeon, his nurse, my cardiologist and her nurse many times about this. I've enjoyed lifting weights for some time and don't expect to quit. I should preface my comments with the fact I had a tissue (bovine) valve put in. I do have some dilation of my aorta also, just not enough at this time to have fixed it during my surgery.

The answer I got boiled down to "listen to your body". That after 3 months I was told I could start lifting again. All my doc's know of my desire to lift and the prevailing message seems to be to start slow and work my way up. I tried lifting 10 weeks after surgery doing a chest workout of about 9 sets, 3 which were flat bench using 40 pound dumbbells. I developed a little soreness that didn't feel like muscle soreness. That told me to wait a few more weeks. Last week (3 months, yeah!) I did the same 9 set chest workout without any soreness. Today, I did the same workout, but upped the weight to 50 pound dumbbells doing flat bench (3 of the sets). We will see tomorrow how I feel. While that might not seem slow to some, it's about half of what I was lifting before surgery. I do expect in the not too distant future to be able to lift as much as ever.

I think many times the doctors tell us what is considered safe for everyone, without thinking about us as individuals. I bench pressed 355 pounds three months prior to surgery. Should I be limited to the same weight (20 pounds) to lift as someone older that's never worked out? Doesn't make much sense to me. What makes sense to me is if it hurts, don't do it.

I do realize that for the most part, I'm going against what the doctors are saying with respect to "amount of weight". I guess right or wrong, I'm making the decision that just because I've had valve surgery, that doesn't mean "I can never". I don't believe that, or least am not choosing to live my life that way. Your mileage may vary.

15 pound limit for a male seems very light

15 pound limit for a male seems very light

even with a section of the aorta replaced.

Him telling you it was the mechanical valve that limits you, seems way out of line with others' experience.

Second opinion time.

Just use your common sense.

Just use your common sense.

Maybe it depends on our own specific heart problem. ? My mitral valve was replaced with a mechanical valve. When I decided I wanted to start lifting weights about a year ago I asked my cardio and he okayed it.

I whole heartedly agree with this quote from Mainframe.

?I guess right or wrong, I'm making the decision that just because I've had valve surgery, that doesn't mean "I can never".?

I went from totally freaked and wanting to know every single thing about my heart and valve after the surgery to a period where I wanted to completely forget I had a heart.. (like you can do that on coumadin!) To the point where I?m at now... which is comfortable with it. I guess I had to go through all of that to get here. I live my life just as I did before the surgery. I?m just a tiny bit more careful.

Rain

I do not recall my doc giving me any weight restrictions. Robthatsme and I had the same surgery and the same valve/graft installed and since we are both weight lifters, I adopted his 75 lb. restriction which I tend to abuse at will.

Hi,

I have been a weight lifter for years prior to my surgery. My emergency surgery was for a ruptured ascending aortic dissection, which also tore into my aortic valve. I now have an aortic graft and St Judes Mehcanical valve. The same as Dick V's.

Since the doctors have no idea of what caused my condition, other than congenital, they prescribe on the side of caution. To avoid a possible future dissection, which in most cases are deadly, my cardiologist advised that I do not lift more than 45 lbs. However, my vascular surgeon said to lift within reason and maybe up to 60 or 70 lbs would be ok. Well, it is hard to judge what "OK" , and "listen to your body"really mean, because if I read how I feel, I would be squating 410 lbs again and benching 280 in my sets. Yup, I feel good enough to take it on and be a gym rat. But....

In order for me to get back to reality, all I do is look at my chest scar before my workouts to remind me that I don't want to go through it again, and to workout sensibly. I now use mostly 45 to 70 lbs in my reps. I do high rep sets 20 or 30 reps per set. I found that I am able to stay well toned doing my workouts this way. I do have some extra weight now that I have trouble with, but not much. I blame my meds for that issue. I think if I cut back on some carbs, (BEER), I would most likey have the extra weight more in control too. But, hey, Summer, boating, relaxing and cold beer go together in my life.

After 2 years of this new routine, and CT scans every 6 months, I have no new dissection or aneurysm deveopment.. So, it is working, and it is also so tempting to push harder...until I take another look at my scar.

Good luck,

Rob

Last edited:
Looking at your scar before exercising sounds like excellent advice!
There is an old rabbinic saying that before age twenty, eating is beneficial, but after age twenty drinking is beneficial. It would be a shame to blame a cold beer or two for extra weight.
How is it that "Happy Hour" at the upcoming reunion last four hours, but we're only to have two drinks?

Latest posts

Back