Post Surgery of 7/12/07

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Carolyn Russo

Good Afternoon Everyone:
It's been a few days now since I arrived home from the surgery (7/17/07). The journey was long but rewarding. I had the cath on 7/11 which as you all told me was a piece of cake......They kept me in the hospital over night for surgery to begin around 6 in the morning - I was number one on the table.
Making this decision to have the surgery done at once was one of the smartest things I have done. I bathed the night before for the surgery and when I woke up I was given the LALA land pill - I was out. I'm not real god with pain medication. Normally puts me out at once.
I can't remember a thing other than they were waking me up to let me know the surgery was over. I saw my son out of my right eye and I think my gentlement friend of some 46 years was there too.
The next think I remember is the woke me to remove the dainage tubes - that was not pleasent but can't remember much of it. Then I remember being woke up again to be told to breath deep they were taking the trak out.
Oh, I was on my way to being detached from all the tubes and devices. I was alive and I has very happy - not doing any talking yet nor was I awake in any way I can remember what was going on around me.
I was in ICU for 24 hours only and then moved to a critical care unit.
I was doing ok - still waking up and by the second day I was awake and well medicated.
I was on my way to getting well 7/14/07 - hating the food but dinking everything in site.
I was up the 15th - walking and took a shower - plus brushed my teeth.
The food from the hospital was discussting and I could just about eat a portion of it. Every day eggs - I am a person who must control her cholestrol and they gave me cheese/eggs. Of course I had no appeitite and didn't eat much.
The 16th was a much better day - Still no appetite, still groggy, still walking and today I did the stairs - down and up......a little winded but did it. Took my daily shower and took care of business. Everything that needed to be down to escape from the hospital was done.
My lab work came back the morning of the 17 - it was good. I was told I could go home.
Finially got out of there about 1 in the afternoon - staight home we went with me sitting in the back seat of my SUV. Can't sit in the front seat because of the airbags - they would kill ya if they went off!
I was upset with the fact I was carring about 12 extra lbs of water weight - I am glad to say today 7/21/07 I an down those 12 lbs plus a 1/2 lb.
I am sleeping on my second floor in my own bed. It's a bit rough but, soon I will find the correct way to sleep and get a good nights sleep. I don't think that will be for some time - alwasy getting up to "tap that kidney"!
I take the minimal amount of pain pills as scheduled or I do try to push it out a hour or so. My right shoulder and arm are throubing. I hope to get a message from my sister tonight - that should help.
I do get some dizzyness from time to time and I sit until it passes..
I'm on 2mg's of warfarin a day. My INT is 1.9. I have a nurse coming to my home twice a week - for how long I don't know what the hospitalization will cover. I also have the lab come to my home to draw blood - again, I don't know how long this will be allowed.
Follow up appointments have been made and I have found a ride to each one - as we all know - no driving for 4-6 weeks maybe 8 I don't really know.
My incision is healing well - due to me being heavy chested I was told to go around the house without the bra. Also, wide down the incision 2x per day and pate dry After doing this for 1 day, the redness is going away and the areas that looked like puss seemed to go away plus the swelling is going down. Improving every day.
I walk every morning when it's the coolest and walk around the house best I can the rest of the day. I do take a nap for an hour or two daily.
I practice my breathing on that wonderful device daily and it's coming along.
My sister will leave me on Sunday and I will feel empty without her. But, she has a life too. I will do the best I can. Guess there's a lot of stuff that won't be getting done around here.
The Good Lord has been kind to me and has given me a new lease on life. With the St. Jude Mechanical Valve I recieved - I think I have been given a good 20 - 25 years (maybe more). The odds at having to go thru the operation again is very low. That is what I wanted - I didn't want to have to face this operation again if avoidable.
So far the only eventful things that happen were two stiches had to be removed from my neck which held the heart cath in while the operation was going on.......
I am a very lucky, happy, and grateful person for all that I have been given to improve my life. I will look at life thru clearer eyese and love it more.

If this is anything I can do for anyone else to help support - please let me know. And I thank every last person from this web site who prayed and supported me. A special thanks to Bonnie - she was wonderful until the last minute prior to surgery.

Love to you all,
Carolyn

So happy to see you post, Carolyn and it is a very inspiring post for those in the waiting room- see - you've contributed help to the masses already! Our prayers for an uneventful and progressive recovery each and every day.

Carolyn,

Wow - you expended a lot of energy to type out your experiences. You must be doing well - congratulations. Your vivid writing brought back memories to me of my hospital stay.

I am very happy to learn that your surgery and early recovery went relatively smoothly. Take care, stay strong, and keep us posted.

And, Carolyn sounds as upbeat on the phone as her writings.:D she called me several hours ago on my mobile phone when I was taking my Granddog home...after a week's visit.:p I was driving in Atlanta traffic..so, I pulled over. We had a good chat...:) ......and I am sure..she is prepared to have a good recovery...she has her ducks in a row,:D Thanks to VR.Com where she was able to read a few days before her surgery...what to expect, ect.......Keep doing what you are doing, Carolyn and you will feel better..each day.:) :) Bonnie

It's great to know that you had such a positive experience, Carolyn. I'm sure Bonnie is responsible in many ways for your comfort level; she can dispense great advice and reassurance long distance without even blinking!:)
Bet that's what they taught her back when she was an airline stewardess.;) :p
!

What a wonderful post, Carolyn. Thank you for it.

SO HAPPY to hear how well your are doing. To be able to sit and type that complete a post is quite wonderful at this early stage in your recovery. Hope all continues to go very well for you. Don't overdo it. Take it slow. Congratulations on being 'this side of the mountain.'

Carolyn,

So good to see you posting again :).

Congratulations on your surgery!

Thoughts/prayers coming your way for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery :).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Get the word out" ... Collective Soul ... 'Feeling Better Now'

Hope you continue to heal and feel even better and better. It was very encouraging to read about your experience. Thanks for taking the time and effort to write!

Welcome back and congrats on writing so soon

Welcome back and congrats on writing so soon

Happy to see you recovering nicely Carolyn. I am also impressed that you got back to the forum so quickly. I had two extra weeks in the hospital to get over things, and it took me a lot longer to get back to these boards after I got home. Hope all continues well.

Latest posts

Back