Post-op report: ten days out

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blair

Finally feel up to giving you a post-surgery report. It has been hard to get into a comfortable position to type. I'm ten days post surgery. Dr.Guyton at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta repaired my mitral valve on May 12th. Found out two days earlier that he would do minimally invasive instead of the full sternotomy I was mentally prepared for. That was a nice surprise! He did not use robotics. Only one leaflet was proplapsing, so it went even easier than expected. He cut out the damaged part, added the annular ring and sewed the rest back up without having to add chordae. (got this second hand, so may not have it right) Surgery was 3 hours 45 min, just over 2 hours on bypass. Started waking up 2 hours later. Then the fun began.

Going into all of this, my biggest fear was coming off the respirator. I read on the forum here, talked to people and convinced myself not to fight the breathing tube. We set up a card with words like "hot" "cold" "puke", etc. so I could communicate by pointing. I was ready.

What a crock! When I woke up, the card was not there. I was already hot... and they kept putting more heated blankets on me... I was ROASTING! Then I started shaking violently, could not stop. I opened my eyes twice and looked around the room at my family, then shut my eyes again. Got off time with the respirator and panicked. My family got scared and left. Someone tried to explain that my core was still cold and they were trying to warm me up... that I should try not to shake and just relax into it. But my mind was saying,"You're dying, you fool, you've got to get out of here!" Good thing my arms were restrained. Eventually I settled down and the tube came right out. Later I was told I actually came off the respirator pretty quickly. I still find myself wondering what waterboarding feels like.

For the rest of my stay, I did not have much of a voice. I sat in a chair for most of the next day. Several IV lines were removed. Breathing was shallow and I wanted the chest tubes out. Shoulders and back ached badly the first two nights. The bladder catheter was removed the 2nd day. I was not told in advance. She just reached down and pulled it right out. It wasn't bad at all, although I did miss the freedom of not having to even think about urinating. Don't know how she deflated the balloon without me knowing. All remaining IV lines, except for one port, were removed. The cumbersome box that collected the chest tube fluid was exchanged for two small, clear plastic bulb-like things that dangled from just below my ribcage. (any of you get these little things?) These were much easier to deal with than the long tubes and box on the floor. I could get up and walk around easily by myself! One of the male technicians referred to them as "grenades" or "your extra set of testicles" whenever it was his turn to empty the fluid. At the end of the second day I was moved to the step down unit and sleep became much easier. I liked sleeping more upright in the recliner and never went back to the bed.

I walked several times a day, worked the spirometer often and finally had an appetite. Went mostly for the fruit and vegetables, for obvious reasons, and really enjoyed my meals. Seriously, the hospital food at Emory was good!

The chest tubes were removed on the third day and I was really happy. Figured breathing would even deeper and I would go home soon. The exact opposite happened. Chest pain increased until all I was doing was shallow rapid breathing... absolutely miserable. They sent me downstairs for several chest x-rays. Air had escaped back into my chest cavity when the tubes were pulled. The PA said it was often painful. To drain that air, he installed new tube (while I was awake!) At least I felt better immediately after that. More x-rays a few hours later and the third tube was successfully removed. They kept me for a few more days, I reckon just to make sure they got it all.

Seven days total. If not for the tube thing I might have been released in five!

Six hour drive home wasn't bad at all. I'm still sleeping rather upright in a recliner. Back pain is only slowly improving. My posture is pathetic. When I think about what I've just been through it seems almost impossible. Went to town today and was asked how I was doing. When I told them I was ten days post-op they couldn't believe it.

Right now I am a very happy man!

Many thanks to you fine people here on the forum. You made this much easier, helped me build confidence, reduce fear, and even relax a little. There is no reason for anyone to ever feel like they are going through this alone! I can't thank you enough!

Wow, sounds like you had an 'interesting' time in the hospital!! But I'm jealous of your good food, most of the stuff I was presented with was not recognisable as food and I sent my friends out to get me fruits and vegetables :) Welcome home, keep up your walking (the more the better really!) and you will see improvements every day!

Woohoo another happy customer!!

Ski girl,
One day when my appetite was bigger than the food they brought, I sent someone out for a fruit plate from a nearby grocery. Surprise, surprise! The fruit from the hospital was better! I kid you not!

Just curious, what fruit would be standard where you are? The hospital strawberries, red grapes, pineapple, apple, and banana.

Great to hear that you are home Blair. I'm sure you'll be back to 100% in no time :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The *BEST* advice I have received throughout my journey is about posture, and it came from my Physical Therapist. He said, "You have to stop walking like you are a heart patient. You need to stand and walk as if you are the President of the United States, or the King of Siam, or whatever. "

So I did. Every time I stood up, or walked to the bathroom, or walked around the block, or just got bored and stood up, I stood up as tall as I could, shoulders back, good breaths. The effect was immediate.

The next best advice I received from him was "Rest your bowling ball."

Your head is as heavy as a bowling ball, and your neck muscles are working very hard to keep it upright. Combined with staying shoulder-curled or hunched, is too much for a recovering body. Make sure you take some lay-down time, to take the weight of your neck. If you're in the recliner, use something that supports your neck during naps, like one of those U-shaped travel pillows, or a rolled up towel....anything that will allow your neck to relax.

Back pain is awful, and I couldn't get my meds to break through it. I was miserable the first few days at home. Once I started consciously improving my posture, the back and neck pain subsided.

Good luck, keep walking, keep breathing!

MrsBray, that was really good advice, especially about resting your bowling ball. I was worried about sleeping during the day, and then not sleeping through the night. So I didn't take naps during the day (didn't rest my bowling ball). I would start the day in pretty good shape, but as the pain increased I got progressively stooped. By the end of the day I was pretty pitiful. Was so tired, and back and shoulders ached all the time.

Saw your post and started taking a lot of breaks that supported my head and relaxed the other muscles. Two days later the pain is almost gone! Two days! And last night I slept a full 7 hours. Can't thank you enough.

Just curious, what fruit would be standard where you are? The hospital strawberries, red grapes, pineapple, apple, and banana.

Blair - I got nothing fresh in the hospital. Veggies were of the canned variety, which as a 'food snob' I don't consider to actually *be* vegetables!! Because I was a heart patient I was also on the no salt diet which was a shocker. After a week I went into a-fib and stayed there for days until I sent my friends out for gourmet burgers - within two hours I was back in sinus rhythm. Coincidence? I think not. So you can see why I'm jealous of your hospital food! :)

Latest posts

Back