Post Op difference, replace vs. repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know either and I'll be interested to see the replies. I've become under the impression that there can be some differences in recovery details, however, depending on how much of the heart is cut and where.

My mother-in-law had a mitral valve repair with a full sterno zipper a couple of years ago. My husband had a aortic valve replacement with a partial sterno zipper this spring.

Neither experience could be described as easy. My husband at 4 months can do most things he wants to without thinking about it -- but still a long way from where he was pre-op as he had no symptoms before the operation.

My MIL had a rougher recovery, but age and other factors (willingness to exercise as prescribed post-op, other surgeries a few months before) probably have more to do with the recovery.

My observation is that it is MAJOR surgery with a long recuperation either way when they start cutting the sternum - a lot or a little. Minimally invasive is supposed to have a better recovery time.

I don't think there is much difference in the recovery. For that matter, there isn't that much difference with CABG to valve surgery in terms of recovery if they are the same split sternum, open chest.

The difference is individual to individual. We all heal differenty and at different pace. I healed differently one OHS to the second. Same surgeon, same hospital. Same open chest, split sternum four years apart. My early recovery and first several months was very much easier on me the second surgery. But then I came to something of a 'wall' and my full, total recovery has stalled.

If you replace with mechanical then i'm guessing you also have to deal with getting your INR straight, but i don't know much about that. other than that, it's probably the same recovery time either way. repairs are supposed to last longer and are supposed to have a lower chance of complications. get a robot to do yours. it's great! but yeah it pretty much depends on the person. i was back at work after four weeks, but my heart has just begun to settle down after three months.

Latest posts

Back