Possible New Member

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorraine

Hi Everyone,

We may possibly have a new member joining us. I don't know if I should just post his first name without permission, so I won't at this time. He started in Cardiac Rehab this past Monday. I've been going for three weeks. From the time that we did get to talk each day, I found out he had the Ross procedure about 10 years ago and in October he ended up getting a St. Judes Mechanical in the Aortic position. He was talking to one of the nurses in rehab about being on Coumadin and vitamin K and his INR still being low at 7 weeks out. Of course I was eavesdropping and just had to add my two cents. I told him I did not think his coumadin was being managed very well. I didn't recall still being at 1.5 INR at 7 weeks out and being tested every two days after i had surgery. I told him he needed a different coumadin nurse. This one was coming to his house every couple of days since he was released from the hospital. I told him about our wonderful website valvereplacement.com. Our anticoagulation expert Al, and about Hank who started this wonderful site. He mentioned today he found our site very informative but he didn't know how to log on to post his story. I told him without my computer in front of me I didn't know how to tell him where to navigate to. Unfortunately I didn't get to talk to him again before I left. I'm kinda hoping he will view again and see my post and feel more encouraged to join us and not just lurk. He did like the info he found on vitamin K. He did mention when I asked him, that he does like to eat salads every day. I told him he should continue to eat what he loves and his coumadin dosage can be adjusted around what he eats. He was told of course that he couldn't eat a lot of vitamin K foods. Anyway, that was why I felt I had to turn him on to our vr.com family. I also told him about our local gatherings and that we would be happy to have hime join us.

Man when are these people managing Coumadin going to get with the program and learn? 7 weeks out, he should be in range and stable. Testing every 2 days is doing nothing but chasing shadows in the dark. I bet they change his dose as often as they test too. Get him aboard if he's willing to listen to advice and realize that we are not doctors, but self dosers and testers that know how this stuff works.

To register, all he need do is click the link below:

http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/register.php

Ross,

What you said, is exactly what I told him. Yes they are continually changing his dose. Today he said he was going to the clinic at our hospital to be tested. He was just checked Wed by the nurse who came to his house. I had heard they have a Coumadin Clinic in the hospital now, but I don't go to it. My cardiologists office also has a coumadin clinic so I just go there.

I probably won't see this guy until the Wednesday after Christmas. When I do I'm going to hand him the vr.com card that Hank gave me and I'll also write on there the link to register. I think he was very curious to hear what we all have to say and will join once he knows how to navigate. Thanks for your info. :)

It's just appalling that there are that many people who don't know what their doing claiming to be managers. It's absolutely disgusting.

Good goin, Lorraine. I do the same when I can. I wore my VR tee shirt to my cardio to advertise and he noticed the moment he stepped into the office. Due for next visit in Feb and will wear the sweat shirt this time to remind him.

Hi, Lorraine's friend. Come on in and join us. We have lots of info for you and sometimes even a bit of fun.

Thank you Ann!

When I felt compelled to start a conversation with him about his vitamin K issues and coumadin, I realized I really am a veteran vr.comer! :D On Monday I was telling him what I could and Wednesday I too wore my vr.com shirt and talked to him more at length while walking back to our cars. On Friday when I asked him how his INR was, that's when he told me he did find the site but couldn't figure how to post his story. I was going to get his email address, but like I said, he was busy talking with someone else and I had another appt to get to, so I had to just leave. That's why I figured I would just post about him, in hopes he will come back and visit vr.com again and see our discussion. If not, next Wednesday at my next rehab I will give him the information and now I can tell him if he checks the site, he'll see that our members are personally inviting him to join us.

Ross; All I can say that I too am appalled with what I was hearing this man say about his coumadin management. I had to speak out to him. I know what it was like for me 6 1/2 year ago when I didn't understand coumadin and vitamin K. I learned a lot by coming to vr.com. I wanted him to know he didn't have to be alone in this, especially putting his life in the hands of a nurse who still had him below 2.0. I think he was at 1.8 on Thursday.:eek: I hope for his sake the clinic he started on Friday is better than the nurse coming in. I also hope he comes aboard here as like ann said, we do have a lot of information here and some fun too!;) :D

Back