porcine/ bovine valve longevity

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jeferi

I was wondering if anybody had any info on the longevity of the pig valve compared to the bovine valve. I am scheduled for mitral and aortic valve replacment in two weeks and still have completely decided which valve to go with. Thought I would go with the mechanical being 38 yo, but with a possible mitral repair I may go with a tissue for the aortic yo eliminate the blood thinner.

Jeff

GENERALLY speaking, the Bovine Pericardial Valves last longer than Pig Valves with the possible exception of the Stentless Porcine Valve.

Unfortunately, the younger the recipient, the shorter the lifetime of tissue valves, presumably because of higher blood pressures with younger patients vs. older patients.

You may want to ask your surgeon if he has any data he could share with you.

'AL'

Jeff,

If you have a mechanical valve at all you will need a blood thinner. Because of the high pressure demand on the aortic valve a tissue valve will have to be replced relatively soon after being implanted. I have a mechanical aortic valve and a grafted tissue valve for my aortic valve which has the lowest pressure gradient of all the valves. Before my surgery my surgeon told me that if we used a tissue valve for my aortic valve that I could expect to have it replaced in anywhere from 5-10 years. To me that seemed awful quick to have another heart surgery. I was 37 at the time.

Have a good talk with your surgeon and discuss all of your options and the possible side effects of these valves like the bleeding potential with blood thinners and the possible need for a repeat surgery.

Lettitia

Latest posts

Back