Poll: aneuryms, BAV, coarctation of the aorta

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poll: aneuryms, BAV, coarctation of the aorta

• I had/have coarctation of the aorta, no BAV, and no known aneurysm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had/have coarctation (but no BAV) and an aortic aneurysm

• I had/have both BAV, coarctation, AND an aortic aneurysm

• Total voters

Karen

Papahappystar's poll about the heritability of BAV promted me to ask for a response from this forum to another question that I have.

I wonder what the experience of vr.com members is with BAV, coarctations and aneurysms. I am curious if, in your experience, the connective tissue problem naturally follows the BAV and/or coarctation, and if there's a higher likelihood that one would have an aortic aneurysm with BOTH a bicuspid aortic valve and coarctation of the aorta. Of course, it seems in my reading that many of you have had anuerysms WITHOUT bicuspid aortic valves or coarctations. So I'd like all of you to respond. :)

Thanks, Karen

I will be interested to see the results of this poll. I also want to mention that I have a bovine arch and wonder if anyone else does. [A bovine arch is a fairly common anatomic variant of aortic arch where the left common carotid artery and the innominate artery (the first two arteries to branch off of the aorta) originate together from one trunk off of the aorta.]

If I vote in any poll..cannot see the results.:confused: so, I would have voted..an aneurysm..No other heart problems..in 61 years..Bonnie

Granbonny said:
If I vote in any poll..cannot see the results.:confused: so, I would have voted..an aneurysm..No other heart problems..in 61 years..Bonnie

Bonnie, you would vote for the 7th option -- you had an aneurysm, but no BAV or coarctation. Is there a little "Vote Now" option when you click on?

YAY!... the BAV and annie's are in the lead!...LOL:D

can i vote for my kids as well ...
i want to vote for matt and steve cos i know where they fit :D

Matt 1 coarct. and bav ...no annie
Steve 1 bav and 1 annie

I have another thought here, but it would require many of us to do homework...

I also know Matts' bav is the sort that looks tri-cuspid ie. a fused one...and Steve has the real-deal with only 2 leaflets...

I keep forgetting to ask which sort i have ...

How to respond?

How to respond?

I don't understand how to respond to the poll. Can anyone help me? I had BAV no coarc, no anyeurism.

Heather

hpuehler said:
I don't understand how to respond to the poll. Can anyone help me? I had BAV no coarc, no anyeurism.

Heather

Heather, you would fall in the 1st option...

thanks...Karen

Hi,

Put me down for the biscupid and aneurysm.

Speaking of aneurysms, I'm very curious about something. Is it possible to develop a second aneurysm after one has been repaired? I had an ascending aortic aneurysm repaired at the same time as my AVR. Just wonder what the possibility is that another one might come creeping up on me. They're scary little buggers. : )

Has anyone had an experience with this?

Hope everyone is well. Take care.

Cheers!

BAVD vs. BAV

BAVD vs. BAV

DavesMom said:
Hi,

Put me down for the biscupid and aneurysm.

Speaking of aneurysms, I'm very curious about something. Is it possible to develop a second aneurysm after one has been repaired? I had an ascending aortic aneurysm repaired at the same time as my AVR. Just wonder what the possibility is that another one might come creeping up on me. They're scary little buggers. : )

Has anyone had an experience with this?

Hope everyone is well. Take care.

Cheers!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... But I don't think having a BAV is always the same has having BAVD (bicuspid aortic valve disease). The connective tissue problem with BAVD would indeed make it possible for you to have another aneurysm develop. It's the nature of the tissue, and not just a result of the pressure caused by the defective valve, that causes the aneurysm. Once the BAV is replaced, it is still important to watch for new aneurysms to develop. If you've already had an aneurysm, I would think you have a great likelihood of having the connective tissue disorder. Didn't I read somewhere that that can be definitely determined by studying a sample of the tissue during valve replacement surgery? It seems that would be a very helpful bit of information if, at the time of surgery, you do not have an aneurysm.

Dave'sMom, try voting again. No one can respond for you but YOU. Your vote would be for option #4... By far the most "popular." :)

Karen

coarctation folks?

coarctation folks?

Aren't there any coarctation folks out there? I thought there were several of us in the forum... So far, in this very scientific survey :) , it certainly wouldn't appear that having a coarctation AND BAV would increase the likelihood of having an aneurysm.

Thanks for your responses so far!
Karen

Hi Karen,

My vote has now been placed. : ) Thanks for the information about BAV vs. BAVD. Very interesting.

Cheers,
Michelle

Coarctation?

Coarctation?

Color me ignorant! What is "coarctation"? I'm guessing my valve was normal, my surgeon guessed I must have a connective tissue problem. He thought the aneurysm was what blew the valve. He told me to be watchfull for more aneurysms. The Dacron graft, is larger than my aorta was to lower blood pressure, and prevent more blowouts..:eek: Brian

coarctation

coarctation

BDMc said:
Color me ignorant! What is "coarctation"? I'm guessing my valve was normal, my surgeon guessed I must have a connective tissue problem. He thought the aneurysm was what blew the valve. He told me to be watchfull for more aneurysms. The Dacron graft, is larger than my aorta was to lower blood pressure, and prevent more blowouts..:eek: Brian

Brian, a coarctation is a narrowing of the aorta. It has nothing to do with the valve, although I was told that 85% of those who have a coarctation will also have a bicuspid aortic valve. Most coarctations, if serious enough to require treatment, are repaired surgically in children when they are very young. Although my coarctation was only the size of a pin hole, my heart murmur was not detected until I was 14 and my surgery was done at age 15 -- very "old" for a coarctation repair.

You would vote for option #7 -- you had an aneurysm without BAV or coarctation. :)

Karen

When I checked the poll BAV w/ aneurysm was 50% of the vote so I had to vote to tip the balance.:D

So what do we win????

prize!

prize!

mtnbiker said:
When I checked the poll BAV w/ aneurysm was 50% of the vote so I had to vote to tip the balance.:D

So what do we win????

The funny thing is that the prize is about the same for every category -- OHS and/or some pretty significant time in the famous "waiting room." :rolleyes:

The good thing is that, in this forum, there's plenty of good folks to share either of those experiences with...

Karen my eldest son has a coarctation , but it isnt considered serious enough to warrant surgery...he is 15... so if i join him up he can join you on the coarct. list!:D

aussigal said:
Karen my eldest son has a coarctation , but it isnt considered serious enough to warrant surgery...he is 15... so if i join him up he can join you on the coarct. list!:D

Toni, I guess it makes sense that not all coarctations would require a surgical repair. But would they repair your son's coarctation if and when he has valve replacement? Or is it just too insignificant to bother with, even then?

I'll consider him part of my "small" ranks -- both BAV and coarctation but no aneurysm... :)

Latest posts

Back