Podiatry and the ER

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkicar

I have an ingrown toenail on my right foot that is KILLING me. I've soaked it twice today, and most recently cleaned it with bactine. It's infected....
I'm wondering, does anyone know if hospitals have podiatrists that can come to the ER? I think one of ours here does, and am planning to visit in the a.m. if my toe is still throbbing. I just took some tylenol and am hoping that the soaks and cleaning will help things subside a little, at least enough to make it to the podiatrist's office on Monday. I have clindamycin here that I can take if I go to the ER tomorrow....
Just curious if anyone has experience with this kind of stuff....

Carolyn,

I cut my own ingrown nails out so I haven't had an ER experience with podiatrists. However, I would think an ER would have access to all types of doctors since people break bones in their feet and I am sure visit the ER if they can't get in to see their podiatrist.

You could try calling the ER and just asking if they can treat you.

The ER here would probably just give you some antibiotics IV and then tell you to go to the podiatrist monday or as soon as you can get an appt.
If you have a family doc. he can also remove an ingrown toe nail.

Lettitia

Thanks Gina and Lettitia--it just woke me up throbbing so I might call Audobon (one of the local hospitals) and ask just since I know they have a residency rotation for podiatry ( go figure). I've never had one hurt this much-which has me worried. I usually remove my own as well, Gina, but my toe is so tender I can hardly stand to touch it let alone get that little piece of nail trimmed out. And besides, I know I should be a good girl and leave that to the professionals.....:eek:

Hi....

Hi....

Hi Carolyn, I think you should go along to the ER even if its just to get an antibiotic. It definitely sounds infected. Good luck. Let us know how you get on. 8)

Carolyn, it makes my foot hurt to just read your post. :eek: If it were me and I was in a lot of pain, I'd try and get something done today. Not to mention the infection aspect.

Carolyn
Those toes can hurt so bad. I remember even the sheets on the bed or the wind blowing was terrific. I got in on an emergency to a podiatrist and it was infected. In fact they both were so they had to do a removal. He did just the edge to the root and what a relief. He knew all about antibiotics for the valves since his dad had a valve so I felt safe with him. It hurts to walk for a bit and how does one get out of the office with those huge bandaids on. I did have to keep my feet above my heart for 12 hours after the removal. He did it fully coagulated. Hope you have some relief soon.
Kathleen

After I soaked it this afternoon it drained some nasty looking stuff (don't want to get too graphic!LOL). The pain is better--I will see how it feels in the morning before I call the podiatrist. I put gentamycin ointment on it after it drained. But yes, incredibly tender, Kathleen--can hardly stand to even touch it. (at least before it drained!)
I'll let y'all know.:eek:

Latest posts

Back