Pleurisy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryC

Has anyone here had pleurisy? I was having chest, neck, back pain the 3rd week of August so the doctor did chest xrays and I was diagnosed with pleurisy. When I started on Naproxen I started feeling better fairly quickly. Now, approximately 3 weeks later, I feel it coming back. I have the same pain, especially when I breath, in my back, neck, shoulders. How long did you have it and what cured this awful condition? (PS This pain was worse than what I experienced with my heart surgery! :( )

Hi Mary -

Sorry to read this; it's sounds awful! I searched pleurisy on site and there were several hits.

I'm really not informed about it at all but, from one of the descriptions I just read from one of the members, it sounded a little bit similar to some of the pain I had from what I think was costochondritis and that came on me a few months after my valve replacement, I think. It was really terrible when it came on. Any time I laughed, the ribs hurt so much that I cried from the pain. I think costochondritis is inflammation of the rib cartilage. I didn't take any meds for it, although maybe I should have, and it has slowly reduced although there is one spot that still hurts and gets reinflamed everytime I have an echo--and I'm due for my annual in a week or two so I'm sure that will be unpleasant.

I hope you find some relief because the lung issue sounds much more serious. I hope others post something to help. Please let us know how it goes for you. Take care.

Mary,

Is he sure it is pleurisy and not pericarditis? The pain is identical but pericarditis sometimes needs stronger meds and different treatment than pleurisy.

I have had both many times and although my pleurisy responded well to just pain meds, the pericarditis always requires bed rest and medrol (steroid) to knock it out.

Gina,
How can you tell the difference between the 2? I don't have a cough but reading up on both conditions, the symptoms are very similar.

Thanks to both of you for the input!

MaryC said:
Gina,
How can you tell the difference between the 2? I don't have a cough but reading up on both conditions, the symptoms are very similar.

Thanks to both of you for the input!
Pleurisy usually has some positive visuals on a chest x-ray. Pericarditis usually has a "rub" that can be heard through a stethescope. In the abscence of either of these, the diagnosis can be difficult as the symptoms are so similar. Since yours is a second go around, I am leaning more towards pericarditis. However, I would not want to second guess your doctor if there really was a positive x-ray.

However, since you are having the same symptoms again, it would be a good time to ask about pericarditis and see what he says.

Gina,
It must be pleurisy. The doctor showed me the xray of my lungs with the affected area. I am going to try to ride it out with the rest of the anti-inflammatory medicine. It sure makes for a long day!

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I can avoid the pericarditis!

Mary If they can hear the rub then it is pericarditis. My first OHS was 28 years ago and I still get pericarditis once a year. Having had both I can tell the difference. It is painful. I take pain killers, warm baths and Indocin.
Kathleen

Does anyone know what causes or contributes to these post-op inflammations?

Something is causing the inflamation that is triggering it. The problem is, what is it that is causing it. Is there something unusual about the area of concern on the xray?

Susan BAV said:
Does anyone know what causes or contributes to these post-op inflammations?
One theory I have heard is immune system acting up and treating scar tissue from the surgery as a foreign matter. Since scar tissue builds up around the heart/lung area, that is where the inflammation occurs.

It would be interesting to find out if all of us who have frequent pericarditis (or similar issues like pleurisy) are the types that build up excess scar tissue.

I think that would be interesting to research. I know I do build alot of scar tissue and it is always a concern before surgery. I also have a paralyzed diaphragm which contributes to the infections.
Kathleen

geebee said:
One theory I have heard is immune system acting up and treating scar tissue from the surgery as a foreign matter. Since scar tissue builds up around the heart/lung area, that is where the inflammation occurs.

It would be interesting to find out if all of us who have frequent pericarditis (or similar issues like pleurisy) are the types that build up excess scar tissue.

I know with mine, when my aleveolar air sacks would rupture and bleed, my body thought the Hemosiderin inside my lungs was a foreign invader and developed pneumonia and pluresy.

Back