Picking a hospital for AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodger Fan

Scripps La Jolla is 55 miles from my house. It is ranked 19 nationally for cardiology and heart surgery according to US News and World Report. Cedars-Sinai is 100 miles away and is ranked 10 nationally. L.A. traffic really stretches that 100 miles. What would you do?

I had my gall bladder removed at Scripps. It was a good experience as far as surgery goes.

I doubt my wife would need a hotel room for Scripps. For Cedars she would definitely want a room. Do hospitals or insurances usually assist with your spouses sleeping situation?

My hospital is Healthpark Medical Center of Lee Memorial in Fort Myers FL. Its only about 40 or so miles away. They're paying for a hotel room for me the night before surgery, but nothing after that. Kinda weird but it's something. The hotel does however have a discounted rate through the hospital if you were to stay additional days. They want me to arrive at the hospital at 5:00 am so I guess it's easier for them that way and insurance probably won't pay

I don't know either of the hospitals you've mentioned, but with both being ranked in the top 25 nation-wide, it sounds like both are good choices. I would say that unless you have a surgeon who has privileges at both hospitals, I would meet with surgeons from both and go with the surgeon who seems right for you.

The way I chose my team was to meet with 3 surgeons from 2 different hospitals. Either of the hospitals would have been fine, but I wanted to choose the surgeon. After all, he/she will literally have your heart in their hands.

They both sound good and it is a tough choice as there is no crystal ball. I live in the Philly suburbs so I chose the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania as I think they're ranked 7th nationwide and Penn is my primary care so it was a relatively easy choice.. I'm only about 30 miles away but I got a hotel right around the corner as my mom flew in for the gig and my wife isn't a big fan of rush hour city traffic. If they're both ranked highly I'm sure either would be good but in the end it's a personal choice.

You're lucky to have a choice between such good hospitals. I would probably meet with the surgeon at Scripps and if that went well I'd just stop there. If you have any doubts after that, then meet with the surgeon at Cedars.

Dodger Fan;n857404 said:
EPSTNS - when you met with 3 different surgeons, did you have to pay out of pocket or did your insurance pay some for each?

IIRC, the insurance picked it all up. I don't remember paying anything but my usual co-pays out of pocket. I do, however, have a really great health plan, so YMMV.

Latest posts

Back