Persistent Dry Cough After Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenewmarket

My husband is six weeks past surgery for a bicuspid aortic valve repair and aneurysm repair. He is experiencing a persistent dry cough that is worse after eating and worse at night. He is not gaining weight, he is currently in cardiac rehab three days per week, he feels great, he doesn't have shortness of breath. He is anemic (which he is being treated for) and the only med he takes is 25 mg. Atenolol. A dry cough is not listed as a side effect for Atenolol.

Has anyone else experienced this scenario? Any suggestions? When he goes to cardiac rehab tomorrow he plans on asking them to listen to his lungs again and advise.

As always, I appreciate your answers!

I think I've read that GERD can cause a dry cough, but I won't swear to it!
Asking the cardio is probably prudent.

I had a persistent dry mouth/throat. I was clearing my throat alot but wasn't actually coughing. Not sure what this could be. Best to ask. Has this been something he's been experiencing ever since the surgery or did this just start happening recently?

His cough was very productive for the first four weeks and since then the cough is just dry. This could be allergy related but I wanted to ask the experts!

Thanks.................

Back