Periodic chest pain after 8 mths

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryp

Hi All,

Been running around like crazy with a new business venture so I have not had much time to offer posts lately.

It seems like over the past 2 mths I have been getting a slight chest pain that lasts for a couple of days then goes away. I last addressed it about 6 weeks ago when I was on vacation in Spain, but upon my return it was gone and did not return until yesterday. Again this is not a strong pain more of a nagging pain on the left side under my breast on the rib. More of a numbing feeling really but it let's me know that something is unhappy inside.:D

It may seem like this happens when I over do it (vacation had a lot of travel bags and really late sleeping hours) and most recently I have been burning the candle working 14hr days and have been very stressed out.

Has post surgical chest discomfort been common for many of you this late after surgery? 8 months.

Or can I expect something has been affecting my valve? Just recall similar pain prior to my surgery which is what got me there in the first place.

Any feedback welcome.

Thank you

Fleeting nerve-type pains signaling regeneration and aching in the sternum are all normal; I don't think that any chest pain that lasts 2 days should be ignored. Heck, if nothing else, get it checked out so you can be told that it's nothing and you're imagining it!!!

Swinging a golf club gave me a small twinge up to 18 months. It only did that when I hit the ball well, so it was pretty infrequent.:rolleyes:

I still get some stiffness in the same spot on my right side if I don't exercise. When I exercise regularly, it never happens. It doesn't hurt or inhibit me in anyway. I treat minor stuff like that as a reminder how fortunate I am.

sounds like you may have been over-doing it.many post that it takes up to a year to feel good...all bones, cells, muscles healed.Figured out where I was 8 months post-op..thinking back..it was on a hay-ride at halloween..and I felt awful the next day.:eek: too much, climbing in and out of wagon...I was one of those that took a year to feel my old self again..Bonnie

*shrugs*

I still get chest pains every now'n'then ... especially when I overdo it ... either by stressing out too much (which has been quite often lately) or try to do too much (be it things around the house, or just trying to stay caught up on all of my message boards).

I always mention whatever pains I've had to my cardiologist "eventually" (namely during my regular checkups). Perhaps not the best way to handle the situation, but since all of the tests always seem to show "normalness" (whatever that is...lol), I'd rather not cry wolf.....

But, it's a fine line determining whether pain is enough to warrant immediate attention ... or not.

And, a new business venture, eh? Sounds interesting!

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/quilt.html
"I can?t take anymore" ... 3rd Eye Blind ... 'How's It Going To Be'

Make sure you're getting physical exercise along with your business requirements and late hours.

I changed departments, so I've been working 10hrs a day in front of a PC lately, and it hasn't done my waistline or my heart any good. Fortunately, I didn't drop dead shovelling snow today, so I guess I'll last a while.

It's easy to get caught back up in life, as though we hadn't been reminded of our good fortune. This time is a gift for each of us.

Best wishes,

same pain

same pain

HI there and Im experiencing this also at 7 mos. post op.
I've already been to the cardio's office and they ran all the test and found nothing so I havn't a clue but I do feel that there's something not right just by the feel of things. Hope you find the anwers your looking for. I have high stress (okay more like insanity level stress) so maybe that is the reason...dunno yet.:confused:

12 months out and still

12 months out and still

I get pains onces in a while. Insision pain sometimes, but mostly a sharp stabbing pain right where I imagine the mitral valve is! During my last cardio visit I mentioned it to him and he did an echo, and a blood test for CHF. Both turned out fine and so he just said come back in May for my regular echo.

This is interesting because just this morning while eating breakfast I had that sharp pain again. Knowing what he told me I have to think it is still healling related. Now yesterday I had my 5 year old grandaughter in a laundry basket, and was swinging her around the room (she loved it) and maybe I just overdid it by doing that. I know it was quite a workout for me!

I also did the treadmill yesterday, no pain, no anything. I wonder how long it really takes the body to get "back", or does it ever get totally back. Maybe when you have something this big done to your body, it takes something away forever. I think I feel fine but I still get tired easyly, and get those chest pains once in a while. Drs. all say I'm good to go, so I have stopped dwelling it on. If you are worried I would go and get it looked at so you have peace of mind.

I think I was pretty much recovered at 12 months; but I felt much better at 18 mos and then even better at 24 mos out. I think I was so deconditioned due to valve problem that at my age it took a couple of years to really get better (of course, recovery was interrupted by a herniated disc that took me out of rehab for nearly 6 months). I'll be you'll feel even better this summer.

coryp said:
Hi All,

Been running around like crazy with a new business venture so I have not had much time to offer posts lately.

It seems like over the past 2 mths I have been getting a slight chest pain that lasts for a couple of days then goes away. I last addressed it about 6 weeks ago when I was on vacation in Spain, but upon my return it was gone and did not return until yesterday. Again this is not a strong pain more of a nagging pain on the left side under my breast on the rib. More of a numbing feeling really but it let's me know that something is unhappy inside.:D

It may seem like this happens when I over do it (vacation had a lot of travel bags and really late sleeping hours) and most recently I have been burning the candle working 14hr days and have been very stressed out.
Has post surgical chest discomfort been common for many of you this late after surgery? 8 months.

Or can I expect something has been affecting my valve? Just recall similar pain prior to my surgery which is what got me there in the first place.

Any feedback welcome.

Thank you

Dear Heart Bro,
I'm hoping to celebrate in years to come our mutual surgery date, so if you're unsure, get it checked out.
Mary

Cory,

I have had a few different times where I have experienced pain in my ribs and at my shoulder blades. This happened mostly within the first year. After changing BP meds it seemed to subside....along with the PVCs. I typically would call or e-mail the doctors, but (other than a follow-up echo) did not go in to get it checked out ( probably not smart).

Take a ride down the 5 freeway and get it checked out.

Dan

Latest posts

Back