'per patient year' question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in the UK i was lucky the hospital sent me home with the device and a few strips, but my local surgery agreed to give me more strips so ok for a year.
INR so far in range and when i record the number i mail to the local surgery who give me the dosage that day. Currently only being asked to test every month.
I know people who have to go to a clinic so consider myself very lucky but as i say this is in the UK.

I don't know the specifics. My mother-in-law received her device and supplies through Medicare. How much is paid for may depend upon your supplemental plan.
I have Medicare. I am getting lucky with the diabetes stuff, like the meds and meter supplies. They are low cost which helps being on limited income. A lot of changes coming in the next year for me.

A few things:

It's been written (and apparently widely assumed) that antibiotics increase INR. I recently took Clindamycin and my INR FELL. I have no idea why the INR went in the wrong direction. Probiotics and yogurt took care of it. FWIW I would have been more comfortable with a high INR for a few days than I would with an INR below 2.

Medicare apparently DOES pay for meters. They probably also pay for testing supplies. I have my meter(s) and I'll wait for Roche to discontinue the XS. then ask Medicare to buy me an InRange.

I have my meter(s) and I'll wait for Roche to discontinue the XS. then ask Medicare to buy me an InRange.

This question is for anyone.

My understanding is that the difference between the Coagchek XS and the Coagcheck INRange is that the latter has a Bluetooth function that can link to your health provider so that he/she can monitor you as well. Is this correct?

Is there any mention that the XS will indeed be discontinued?

Last edited:
A few things:

It's been written (and apparently widely assumed) that antibiotics increase INR. I recently took Clindamycin and my INR FELL. I have no idea why the INR went in the wrong direction. Probiotics and yogurt took care of it. FWIW I would have been more comfortable with a high INR for a few days than I would with an INR below 2.

Medicare apparently DOES pay for meters. They probably also pay for testing supplies. I have my meter(s) and I'll wait for Roche to discontinue the XS. then ask Medicare to buy me an InRange.
My experience with certain antibiotics do tend to raise the INR and have been dosed accordingly and retested. No problem with that course, since the lab I use, they follow the rules and protocols. And about a home device, I will talk to my cardio nurse about it since I am on Medicare. Thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Back