Pending aortic valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, just registered. It seems like the heart murmur that was identified 3yrs ago has led to a valve replacement, my cardiologist would like to see it done this winter. I an 63yrs old and leaning towards a mechanical valve, I am scheduled to meet with the surgeon in early Nov.

Hi, just registered. It seems like the heart murmur that was identified 3yrs ago has led to a valve replacement, my cardiologist would like to see it done this winter. I an 63yrs old and leaning towards a mechanical valve, I am scheduled to meet with the surgeon in early Nov.
Hello Stanardvelicity and welcome. You and I are the same age and I had my second OHS four months ago. I decided on the Inpiris Reselia “bovine” valve. Neither choice is a bad choice, it’s just a personal choice. If you have any specific questions regarding your meeting with the surgeons (I recommend at least two points of view) regarding the actual surgery or post surgery, please ask. You have come to a very helpful experienced forum.

Welcome to this forum. You have some time before the surgery to review valve choices. The mechanical valve will, most likely, last your lifetime......the tissue valve will probably require some form of procedure when you are around 80. If you are fortunate you may get a TAVR at that time........if not, it'll be back to another open heart surgery at a much more vulnerable age of 80. That one would not be fun at all.

Fortunately, I did not have to make the valve decision when I had the surgery in 1967 since there was only one valve on the market. Study your alternatives as best you can and make your "educated decision".........and go with it:)

It will be good to get a date for this procedure. There will be a lot of planning to work around 2-3mo of not being able to do much physical work, winter feeding of the cattle can be set up to just open gates and allow the cattle access hay bales 1 weeks worth at a time. Calving season is often more eyes and hands on, they are due May 10. I guess the sooner they get this valve changed the better!

Hi and welcome

I an 63yrs old and leaning towards a mechanical valve, I am scheduled to meet with the surgeon in early Nov
at 63 I could see a case either way. Based on what you've said my weighting criteria would be
  • am I going to be likely in need of ACT anyway (afib, a stroke happened)?
  • will I be able to self manage (I see Manitoba in there so self management is not actively hostile as it is to the south of you)

Either way the choices are all better than doing nothing.

FWIW I'm seeing more and more that in your age group 18 years is more likely from something like a Resilia (but still its down to statistical issues) and probably (if you qualify on the day) a TAVR could give that another 7

This doesn't mean that you won't wind up on ACT, for other reasons.

But if you do end up picking mechanical I can give you a good leg up on managing INR better.

Best Wishes

Latest posts

Back