Pasta e Fagioli

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgilityDog

2 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 closves garlic, finely chopped
2 large carrots, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
1 medium zucchini, cubed
2 T chopped fres basil
1/4 cup flat parley leaves, tightly packed
1 cup fresh spinach, tightly packed
3 cup chopped frsh or salt-free canned tomatos
15 oz can salt free navy beans or white kidney beans (or equivalent dried & cooked)
1 cup salt free chicken broth or water
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
juice of 1/2 lemon
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 stp white wine venegar
8 oz short pasta, cooked ithout salt
grated unsalted gouda or swiss cheese (optional)

Heat oil in large heavy pot, add onion, garlic, and carrots, and cook until onions begin to turn brown and caramelize.
Add Zucchini, basil, parley and spinach. Cook for a few minutes until the basil and spinach are wilted.
Add tomatso and beans, including liquid from canned beans (if using canned)
and the chicken broth. Add oregano, cumin, lemon juice, pepper and vinegar, stir to combine.
Brin mixture to a boil, turn down heat and allow to simmer gently for 20 to 30 minutes, until carrots are soft and flavors are combined.
Serve atop a generous portion of cooked pasta in large soup bowl, and sprinkle with grated cheese.

--The No Salt Cookbook, David C. Anderson and Thomas D. Anderson

I confess to messing with this recipe: I sauted a pound of lean ground turkey with the onions, and substituted okra and chopped brussels sprouts for the zucchini and spinach, since that was what I had on hand. It is yummy!

You're gonna make me fatter with these yummy recipe's, Laurie, I like the idea of substituting Okra and chopped Brussels sprouts as some of the ingredients. As for the pasta, I would modify the recipe to specify whole grain pasta for health reasons, and I would probably leave out the ground turkey and the cheese.

Thanks for posting!

Jim

Back