Paresthesia anyone?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afraidofsurgery

I recently started having hypersensitivity in my skin on the back of my arm and some areas on the side of my abdomen towards the armpit. The PI for coumadin lists paresthesis as a potential side effect, and I was wondering if anyone else has had this as a reaction to the drug?

I'm also going to see my chiropractor today. I coach gymnastics on Saturdays and occasionally goof up my upper back from spotting kids or moving mats, so it might be a pinched nerve. But since the sensation is so weird - feels like my skin's been sunburned badly but it hasn't - not sure if it's a back problem or something else. :(

Patty

If it's all on one side, better get checked out for shingles. And the sooner the better. There are things that can help but it has to be done fast, fast.

I hadn't thought about shingles until Nancy mentioned it, but she's right.
Have you felt like you were getting ill in the last few days. . . run a fever for no apparent reason?
If you develop any type of new skin eruption that appears to be a insect bite, a pimple, or anything else that seems odd and is painful, get in to see a doctor for a diagnosis.
I've had the same patch of shingles on my leg seven years in a row, sometimes twice a year, and I'm still surprised when it first appears. As Nancy states, there is medicine available to counteract the effects, but it's most effective when started immediately with the first skin eruption.

I don't recall ever having seen this in anyone on warfarin. It must be extremely, rarer than rare.

This is a listed side-effect of Atenolol and some other beta blockers and BP drugs. I had it briefly when I went on Atenolol. If you've recently added or changed prescription drugs, this is a possibility to consider.

A mild reaction to poison ivy can also do this - such as when your clothes get washed with the clothing of someone who tramped through it.

I hope it just goes away for you and never comes back.

Best wishes,

Hmm, still wondering

Hmm, still wondering

The chiropractor seemed to think it was the result of not a pinched nerve at the vertebrate level, but from muscles being too tight on one side and not toned up on the other - so my back is out of whack :)

I got an adjustment (snap crackle POP), so I'll try a few more + a massage to see if I can loosen things up. Hey, why not? Also was advised to get on a regular exercise program to prevent this. Have to work on that. She pointed out that having ones ribs spread during OHS can wreak havoc on the upper back. Hmm.

I thought about shingles or lyme disease, but I have no rash or skin eruptions. I did have a sinus infection/cold/allergies last weekend, but no fever, no headache or other symptoms.

Think I'll persue the chiropractor for now unless other symptoms show up. Totally a strange sensation, though. Thanks for your opinions! I never know what weird trouble my body will get into next!:D

I have posted about the sensations that I feel and that I associate them with coumadin. It has not decreased with use. It has increased and to different locations on my body. My feet still have it badly and my hands and face. Also the top of my head are the most difficult to deal with.
I hope that you find the chiropractor can fix you. Not so here. I have tried. Not recently though.
Good luck.

Just be careful that the chiropractor does not adjust your neck. One of my patients had this done and it caused a disection (coming apart) of the vertebral artery and the resulting clot in the artery caused her to lose sight out of the left side of both eyes. It happened within minutes of the adjustment but the chiropractor denied that it was caused by what he did.

Missy,
The people who are most likely to describe various sensations that they feel while they are on warfarin are those with antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Have you been checked for this? It is a very difficult diagnosis because of lots of false negative results. There is no known reason why people should be able to "feel" warfarin. However, I have heard so many stories from them about predicting their INR by the way that they feel that I am a believer that something is there. I think it is something to do with the condition, not the warfarin, but they are fairly accurate.

allodwick said:
Just be careful that the chiropractor does not adjust your neck. One of my patients had this done and it caused a disection (coming apart) of the vertebral artery and the resulting clot in the artery caused her to lose sight out of the left side of both eyes. It happened within minutes of the adjustment but the chiropractor denied that it was caused by what he did.

What did the jury say?

Al

Al

Thanks Al,
I looked it up on a few sites and it is scary but interesting. Thanks for telling me. I will have to tell the dr about it . I printed your message as I don't think I can remember it and have trouble even spelling it.
Do you know if that is something that needs to be checked immediately or does the coumadin take care of it also if one were to have that?

Neck adjustments

Neck adjustments

allodwick said:
Just be careful that the chiropractor does not adjust your neck.

Uh, whoops! Too late for the last visit, have another visit tomorrow - hmm, might have to think twice about getting that bad-ass neck crack maneuver done to me. Never heard of antiphospholipid antibody whatchamacallit but I will look it up...

I don't think that you need to check for a dissected artery, you will know immediately if it happens.

For good infor about APS look at www.apsfa.org I may be prejudiced but if you look in the lower left of the home page and click on Medical Advisory, you will find that I am on their Advisory Board.

Problem solved

Problem solved

Seems the problem was an irritated nerve. I must have pulled some muscles and they tightened up like crazy and messed up some other stuff. Glad to have the weird sensation go away.

BTW, what does a dissected artery feel like? I'm curious but not sure I really want to know;)

Patty

The ones that I have seen had no pain. One just lost vision on the left side of both eyes. I don't recall the other saying anything about pain either.

Latest posts

Back