Para-valvular leakage

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

greggo32

Just when I thought it was over..... Well, I may have some leakage around the valve. Just found this out today when my cardiologist did an echo. If anybody has experience with this, I would appreciate some information.

Thanks

Hi Greg,

Yes, they did find this on an echo of mine almost three years ago. It was repeated, then it was gone. Then it was there. Then gone.

Enough to drive one insane. As I understand it.....there is no perfect fit. Peri leaks do occur and will not necessarily send you back to the OR.

Weather or not I really have one is a good question. They do not hear a murmur. Last echo was clear of any such leaks. I am displaying some stenosis of the prothesis....... which I would like more info on. Maybe the scar tissue has grown over the little leak they had seen.

In any case, as long as it works. I am not going to let it bring me down.

Keep us posted.

Hi Greg-

Joe had a paravalvular leak that didn't go away. He had his repaired with a couple of stitches. Sometimes they go away with a little more healing, and sometimes they don't. They watched Joe's for a while and really didn't want to do more surgery on him because it would be his third, but he became too symptomatic to the point that he couldn't even walk to the mailbox, right out the door.

His heart is good now.

Wishing you all the best.

Hi Greg,

Greg, you said you MAY have some leakage around the valve. You don't know for sure, right? Try not to worry yourselves sick, it'll drive you insane like Gina said. When a valve has been replaced there often still is a small leak afterwards, because it is very difficult to get a perfect fit. But cardiologists often don't worry too much about a small leak. Read on.............
This past March when I went in for another echo my cardiologist told me that I have another murmur and that the Mitral & Tricuspid valves both have minor leaks.
I do not know if it is the Aortic(which has been replaced with a mechanical) or one of the other valves that has the murmur. He probably doesn't know himself.
I was like you and must have looked petrified, because the last thing I want is a 3rd surgery. He told me not to worry, so I don't until I am told different. Why worry about something that isn't here yet? I am thinking about it at times, but I don't let it consume my thoughts like it did when I needed Aortic Valve replacement the first time.
They will keep an eye on it by check-ups every 6 months.

Hope I have helped you Greggo...Keep that chin up!

Christina
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
TMC, Tucson. AZ.
Dr. Gulshan Sethi
Mechanical

Prompt response from VR community

Prompt response from VR community

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Christina, Gina, & Nancy-I want you guys to know how much I appreciate your responses to my question. I feel that I have invested in learning about all of you (reading of a life story, corresponding, and offering information to others). I have learned how important it is to receive fast feedback given our individual situations. Today's news was shocking; however, the clinical significance of it is uncertain. Anyway, I would also appreciate any information (medical literature, referrals, etc.) More importantly, I am set to go to Vegas! I am trying to keep this in perspective. There is strength in numbers. I am going to walk into that most elegant hotel-Lady Luck (joke!!). And, I am going to hit those slot machines with a force that is going to cause every valve in the Northern hemisphere to leak!!! If there is a leak, maybe, AL and a few others can do some live surgery. Just hit me with some Oxycontin and 4 tequila shots and let's do it live on the internet!!!!

hi greg!
i was so sorry to read about the leak..... but.... have they done a tee?
they thought joey had a moderate to severe leak at his 6 month echo, until they did a tee and found it to be two trivial leaks_ one at his av which they knew about when he left the hospital post surgery. the other was a new one, a "fistula" or leaking artery that must have been aggravated or cut during surgery (dr. stelzer said that this is very common when he does ross procedures and has to do a lot of cutting). neither leak is significant. they will be watching the fistula and if joey should become symptomatic for some reason, as a result of it, they can cauterize it through a cath procedure.
i hope all turns out alright with you and this leak. please keep us posted.
i'm still working on getting joey to ok the reunion.
stay well, sylvia

So soon?

So soon?

Greg, You are behind me post-op..How did you get an echo done so soon? I haven't called to even get my 6 month checkup...but I will have lots of info from your thread now if they tell me I have a leaky valve. (Wonder if this is where the expression comes from when you have to wee-we- so much?):D :D Bonnie

Echo # 2

Echo # 2

I had a second echo today and my cardiologist (who saw me in the hospital) doesn't think that there is any periprosthetic (paravalvular) leakage. There is the normal leakage that you get with a mechanical and that is through the valve as it acts to keep the implantee from getting a embolism. So, for now, everything seems to be o.k. Most likely a false alarm. I will get an echo in 6 months.

Thanks for the prompt feedback. All of us have to stay on top of things and get our questions answered by the docs. (and educate ourselves) so that we can be around on this planet for as long as is humanly possible.

Good for you Greg-

You did the right thing to get things checked out. How can the patient possibly know what's going on inside there? You guys and gals need machinery and pictures and charts to figure things out, plus the doc to interpret. It's not a guessing game.

I'm so happy for you. Just stay on top of it. You'll be fine.

Hey Greg,

That's great news!

Hear you about the 'false alarms'. Have had my share too, but it's better than actual 'bad news'.

Looking forward to meeting you in Vegas. Have you talked Amy into coming along?

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the encouragement. I am glad I got it checked out. I have tried to talk my sister into going to the reunion. She has her 20th high school reunion that weekend.

Latest posts

Back