Palpitations.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats interesting about the taurine. I have had palpatations/irregular heart beats for 25 yrs before valve operation, and still have it post op. Dr.'s don't seem worried about them so they have never bothered me. I do have chf, enlarged heart, left side failue, if any of that has anything to do with it. I have always done anything I want to do, run, jog, etc. without any problems.

Edit to add.. Taurine may reduce platelet aggregation and may increase the risk of bleeding when taken with drugs that increase the risk of bleeding. Some examples include aspirin, anticoagulants ("blood thinners") such as warfarin (Coumadin®) or heparin, anti-platelet drugs such as clopidogrel (Plavix®), and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil®) or naproxen (Naprosyn®, Aleve®).

http://www.wellness.com/reference/herb/taurine/dosing-and-safety

So if you are taking warfarin be careful with taurine.

Taurine has also been found to partially block the effects of Ang II (6568), implying that taurine may interfere with different actions of Ang II in cardiovascular cells (Figure 2). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2586397/

Taurine affects the calcium channels of the heart and stimulates the heart to beat harder. W. Carter, does the chf not impact your ability to run etc?

I wouldn't call it a run anymore, more like a slow jog. When I was young my easy aerobic pace was 7:30 pace. Now it's about 12:00 pace. And if I can keep my lungs clear the jogging actually helps make things better.

W. Carter;n859484 said:
Edit to add.. Taurine may reduce platelet aggregation and may increase the risk of bleeding when taken with drugs that increase the risk of bleeding. Some examples include aspirin, anticoagulants ("blood thinners") such as warfarin (Coumadin®) or heparin, anti-platelet drugs such as clopidogrel (Plavix®), and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil®) or naproxen (Naprosyn®, Aleve®).

http://www.wellness.com/reference/herb/taurine/dosing-and-safety

So if you are taking warfarin be careful with taurine.

I think the keyword is 'may'. In my experience, it does not. But everyone is different. Fish oil is reported to increase the risk of bleeding, but it actually reduces my INR level.

So is the possibility of taurine increasing bleeding because it ups your INR or is it somehow different ?

I was told by a nurse once that fish oil does not affect your INR but it does make your platelets slippery in a way so they are less likely to stick together (clot) I wasn't sure what to do with that info. But my doctors know I'm on a daily fish oil supplement and they've said nothing about it.

I take Coumadin (Jantoven), low dose aspirin, Mega Red, and magnesium

almost_hectic;n859493 said:
So is the possibility of taurine increasing bleeding because it ups your INR or is it somehow different ?
Different. Platelets are different to thrombin.for example aspirin inhibits platelets and has no effect on INR. Warfarin chucks a spanner in the works for thrombinformation and thus effects INR.

almost_hectic;n859493 said:

I was told by a nurse once that fish oil does not affect your INR but it does make your platelets slippery in a way so they are less likely to stick together (clot) I wasn't sure what to do with that info. But my doctors know I'm on a daily fish oil supplement and they've said nothing about it.

I take Coumadin (Jantoven), low dose aspirin, Mega Red, and magnesium

Fish oil does affect my INR. I self test and increase Warfarin accordingly. 6 grams a day of Taurine does not change my INR. If taurine stimulates the heart to beat harder, then I guess logically it could increase bleeding. But to me that's kind of like saying, crossing the road increases your chances of getting hit by a car.

Ten benefits of taurine (reduce stress and improve metabolism): http://www.poliquingroup.com/Article...f_Taurine.aspx

Hi .
Like W,CARTER, Ive had irregular heart beats most of my life. Since op (aorta valve 2011) I still get them! My cardiologist is a triathlete, and told me to go onto 'Magnesium MIN' 500mg twice a day. I am 75 age, and have ran dozens of races since my op! I have just accepted the situation, and run in tune with nature! (relaxation/ rythem).

MethodAir;n859499 said:
Fish oil does affect my INR. I self test and increase Warfarin accordingly. 6 grams a day of Taurine does not change my INR. If taurine stimulates the heart to beat harder, then I guess logically it could increase bleeding. But to me that's kind of like saying, crossing the road increases your chances of getting hit by a car.

Ten benefits of taurine (reduce stress and improve metabolism): http://www.poliquingroup.com/Article...f_Taurine.aspx

Out of curiosity, how much is your daily dose of magnesium? I used to buy some dang expensive magnesium tablets at the supplement store long time ago and I think I was taking "chelated" magnesium of like 800 mg a day. Now I just have some brand called Nature Made from the supermarket that just says Magnesium, I believe it's magnesium oxide. I don't know how much difference the different varieties makes; chelated, oxide, citrate, etc. what I have read in numerous places is that when taken orally it's near impossible to take too much magnesium. Anything your body doesn't take will be filtered out in urine or even more and it'll result in diarrhea. So if your taking too much you'll know!

I mix it up. I think with anything, your body quickly gets used to it and it stops working. But I have taken at least 1000 mgs of magnesium citrate for several days (the oxide is a cheaper version). Yea, if you take too much, you'll know.

Speaking of palpitations...not long after surgery, I was on diuretics (up to about 60mgs), had been on them for a couple of weeks. Lost about 25 lbs of water from the surgery... I did about 10 minutes of cardio (probably a bit too fast), came in, and my heart rhythm was suddenly right out of whack. I was close to going to Emergency, but I thought I'd try a couple of things first. Took a lot of magnesium (knowing that the diuretics had eliminated all the electrolytes). And some potassium. I was back in sinus rhythm in pretty short order.

Latest posts

Back