Palpitation and Mitral leak question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mike1616

Hi,

I'm a 25 year old male, I have have no past medical history, always been healthy and have been bodybuilding for the past 7 years. 3 weeks ago I had liposuction done, I was put under an iv drip sedation and was given percocet (Spelling) along with Keflex post op. About two weeks after the surgery I began getting palpitations. No pain nor pressure or discomfort associated with them in the chest. The first night I got them I was getting them like every 5 minutes, they weren't big however, I could feel them. I went to the urgent care and they did an EKG, all was normal. I then went to a cardiologist about 3 days ago, he gave me an echo, along with a stress test. The echo showed a very strong healthy heart according to the doctor, however I had a minor mitral leak he said that was absolutely nothing..he showed it to me on the monitor, he said that equipment now days is so good it can pick up virtually anything even though it is not a bad thing. He made no other mention. My stress test was great also. Why the palpitations though? I do take Paxil for anxiety on a daily basis. I now get them on the average of about 8 to 10 a day. I am back in the gym and I seem to get them AFTER lifting heavy weight, not during. I am not bothered by them anymore being that everything I have read about them says they are harmless. I was just wanting to hear people's opinions on this. I have no other side effects. Thanks in advance for any info.

Hi Mike-

Welcome to the site. I'm sorry you are having palpitations. They can be scary.

It's a good thing to have had them checked out with a cardiologist and it's wonderful that you had the stress test and echo to take a good look at your heart. It sounds as if your cardiologist has done the right things. Did you also have blood-work, such as a Complete Metabolic Panel? If not, you could ask if this might show anything helpful. It shows a lot about your body functions, and also your electrolytes and other blood chemistries.

Many people have palpitations and as long as you've had them checked out and your cardiologist is satisfied that they are nothing to worry about, I would listen to him. Most all palpitations are benign in nature, and a lot of them can be triggered by some sort of stress, perhaps your recent surgery. I bet they will diminish in frequency soon, as you are mostly over the healing.

Many people as well, have minor or trace leaks in one or more valves with little or no problems. There again, as long as your cardiologist has noted it and isn't worried about it, I would listen to him there as well.

Did you discuss your heavy weight lifting with the cardiologist? If so, then I guess he doesn't see it as a problem, but if not, then it wouldn't hurt to run that by him, especially since you seem to get the palpitations after doing heavy weight lifting.

There are several folks here who are also weightlifters, and maybe this post will catch their eye with some ideas.

For the time being, why not lower your weights until you feel the palpitations are under control.

I hope you will be monitored from time to time with a cardiologist, but it sounds as if things are OK.

As with anything else in life, if you have any weird or unusual sensations or are not comfortable with how you are feeling or your palpitations don't diminish or get worse, then get on the phone and give either your Internist or cardiologist a call.

Best wishes to you.

Latest posts

Back