Pacemaker while on coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are quite a few folks on warfarin who've gotten pacemakers. Some pacemakers were implanted while they were in the hospital with their surgery, some got theirs some time later.

Those with pacemakers will report in soon, I'm sure.

I had my pacemaker implanted 5 days after I had my valve replaced. I was on a heparin drip when they put it in so I can't really say much about what it would be like to have it implanted while on coumadin but I imagine they would probably have the person bridging with lovenox and come off of coumadin for the procedure but that would be a question for the doctor as I really don't know. Please post what you find out. I would be interested in knowing as I will eventually have to have mine replaced when the battery starts going in it.

Hi Jennie!

I've had a few put in, now - two while I was in the hospital for surgery already, and then one replacement that was a stand-alone procedure.

The stand-alone one, they put me in the hospital and on a heparin IV to take me off the coumadin - then they were able to lower the heparin just for the surgery and then add the coumadin back in afterwards.

I know that they can also use Lovenox shots that you can administer at home without the need for hospitalization until the surgery (it gets out of your system in about 12 hours). You'd then be hospitalized afterwards while they get the coumadin back in range before releasing.

Hope that helps, and please feel free to ask any other questions!
Kerri

Got my first one 10 days post OHS, while on heparain drip.
Got that replaced 15 months later with the ICD on a semi-emergency basis, withheld warfarin with lovenox bridge for 2-3 days before. INR on surgery day was 1.9 They wanted me under 2. Started back on coumadin the night of surgery, I believe (Xmas eve. Happy frickin' Xmas, got home about 2 p.m.).
Ice pack for 2 days after surgery to minimize bruising. Still looked like Arnold Schwarzeneger on one side.

I'll have a bivent pacer put in beginning next year, to fix a left bundle branch block and potentially increase my EF. My cardio wrote it was a 2-3 hour outpatient procedure, but did not mention anything about Coumadin or bridging. I will ask him.

I had my pacemaker and then a pacemaker/defibrillator put in as stand alone procedures. Both times I used Lovenox but had to stay in the hospital for a couple of days afterwards until my INR came back up. Since that time I've been one of the few people who just can't handle the Lovenox (multiple hematomas) so now when I have to bridge, I go into the hospital and am put on a Heparin Drip. Not fun being in the hospital but it sure beats the pain from the hematomas. Note: I believe most people don't have this problem with Lovenox. Just letting you know my experience. LINDA

I got a quick answer from my cardiologist, he wrote that for my implant, they would try to get my INR under 2.5 on the day of, with no bridging or hospital stay after. My INR range is 2-3, and I have not yet been over 3. I have an appt 4 days beforehand, where I can imagine they get my INR and recommend dosage from there.

Thanks for your replies. My dad's INR is currently under 1.5. He's been on a heparin drip since yesterday and will have the pacemaker inplanted today. This is per the hospital's protocol.

Cleveland Clinic does pacemaker with an INR of 2.0. Joann is allergic to Heaperin so there is no bridge treatment. 3 days of hospital monitoring.

Hi All. Just a quick update. My dad had the pacemaker implanted 4 days ago. He has a hematoma at the incision site which the medical team is trying to control. In the meantime, they took him off the heparin drip for 24 hours (beginning yesterday afternoon) to control the bleeding. Once they resume the drip, he will continue on it until he has his angiogram/stents placed this Friday. Please continue to keep him in your prayers. Thanks. - Jennie

Latest posts

Back