Out of the Waiting Room and on the Road to Recovery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbelle1216

Hi All,

First I want to say that this site has been my security blanket during my time in the waiting room and now on my road to recovery.

I am 72 years old and had my aortic valve replaced on June 13th. Today is one week since my minimally invasive surgery. I can't say that it's been a great week, but I will say I am so glad that it is over.

I wanted to throw a few questions out to those of you who have seen it, done it and been there :)

How did you get a good night sleep? Sleeping has been horrible. I can't get comfortable and I find that I get short of breath from laying down. I know that I still have a trace of fluid in my lungs which I am taking lasix for. How long does it take for the residual fluid to disappear? Is it common for your blood pressure and heart rate to be high? How long does it take before I start to feel like myself again?

I am seeing my cardiologist tomorrow and I expect that he will probably change my medicines to get me more regulated.

Thanks in advance.

Annabelle

Hello (moooo) Miss Annabelle,

So happy to hear your procedure is behind you and that you're on the road to recovery with many of us.

This may be bad advice. See post further down, apparantly recliner position may be clot prone?:

I can't speak to your current post-surgery questions, but have you considered getting a recliner to sleep in? Mine was very comfy during early recovery, I hear it's a good position (elevated a bit) for after surgery. Not everyone can afford a special chair for a few weeks, but maybe if you got one from store or even someone generous on Craigslist they'd even bring it over/put it where you want it.

/potentially bad advice

Stay in Touch!
Jason

Hi

glad to hear you are on the other side
I wanted to throw a few questions out to those of you who have seen it, done it and been there :)

How did you get a good night sleep?

well I didn't ... hospitals are quite annoying in that way.

How long does it take before I start to feel like myself again?

well I have only my maximally invasive surgery to go by, but some weeks.

take care, rest as you can and focus on how much better you feel than yesterday

Annabelle: Glad to hear you are on the other side.

I had minimally invasive surgery on 6/6. It shocked the heck out of me that my first night home I was able to sleep on my back with just my usual pillow, or on my side. Even then, getting from one position to another was complicated and sometimes required getting out of bed just to get back in.

As a result, I was up at least 5 times that first night. Now, 2 weeks post-surgery, I have had a couple of nights where I have only awakened twice. I always take pain meds just before bed. As I walk more, I think this also helps with sleeping.

My doctor recommended against sleeping in a recliner due to potential blood clod issues. Some find getting lots of pillows and experimenting until you fine the right combo that helps you sleep.

Best wishes on your continued recovery. -- Suzanne

My doctor recommended against sleeping in a recliner due to potential blood clod issues. Some find getting lots of pillows and experimenting until you fine the right combo that helps you sleep.

Yikes. Scratch my advice then! :thumbd:

Hello Welcome to the good side. :)

BP and HR would be high for a couple of weeks since your heart is just dealing with the trauma its gone thru. Try inclining yourself in bed with pillows. Usually a 45 Deg makes it comfi cause it does not stretch your chest muscles. And yeah like every1 saying here don forget your walk, at present it is your best friend it would get your good sleep and appetite back. :) take care.:)

Yikes. Scratch my advice then! :thumbd:

Jason: I think it is a recommendation, not a hard and fast rule. It seems that many have a hard time sleeping post-op unless in a recliner. And without sleep, it's hard to do everything else needed for recovery.

For those sleeping in a recliner, its important to take steps to minimize blood clots, which means walking and stretching as much as possible.

I was lucky because I didn't have to make such a tough choice. -- Suzanne

I slept in a "Lift recliner" I bought before surgery for (3) nights with my sweet husband on the sofa. What a bad idea that purc- Kimhase was for me. It was so uncomfortable. Moved to the sofa and that was better. (My poor husband went to a cot. He is the sweetest to spend all nights with me in the family room.) After week 2 moved up to the bed, had 2 roll pillows between us so I can't roll over on my stomach (which is my favorite sleeping position) and he can't accidently hit my sternum. It has worked great for me now 4 1/2 weeks post op. Try several things and pick one that works best for you. - Kim

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the waiting room 10 years. AVR May 23, 2013, Dr. Barnhart, Swedish Medical Center, Cherry Hill location, Seattle, WA. 53 year old female.

Re. fluid in lungs. I was on limited liquids for the first two weeks as well as lasix. By my 2 week follow-up my lungs had cleared up and I was able to stop the Lasix. At my 4 week follow-up I had some fluid in my lungs again. So now I am back on lasix for another 10 days.

Latest posts

Back