Our Friend Needs Us

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lisa45

Friends and Prayer Warriors,

I am asking for prayer requests for my good friend Alicia. As some of you know she was hit hard by fen-Phen and had tissue valve repair surgery on her Mitral valve about a year and a half ago and now she needs a valve replacement as the valve is leaking badly again. Alicia is not even 40 and does not deserve this. This is a very very hard time for her and she also has the responsibility with her loving husband of twin grandchildren and a third grand daughter. She really needs prayers this holiday season. I am collecting prayers if you can email them to me. I will either be taking them or sending them to her in North Carolina. This second surgery is scheduled for Jan3 I have to go in the day before and get a cath and pre-op so we are spending that night up there and go back first thing next morning for surgery. They are going to use a pig valve. (I forget the proper name) minimally invasive surgery. I should be in for 5-7 days.

Please Email letters of encouragement and prayer to [email protected]
Put in subject line: ?Ali Thinking of You? so I can sort my email better. Thank you
God Bless
Lisa

Lisa,

Has your friend been advised on the likely durability (lifetime) of the valve she has selected? Standard pig valves typically last only 8 to 12 years in the Aortic position, perhaps longer in other positions. The stentless porcine valves may (probably?) last longer. In any event, at age 40 I would want to fully understand the options and tradeoffs, especially as they affect re-opeartions later in life. I hope her surgeon has (or will) discuss those trade-offs with her.

'AL'

Our Friend

Our Friend

Thanks Al I will pass on the information to her. She is not even 40 years old yet.

Hey Al and others, To correct Lisa: I am 41 years old and will be 42 tomorrow. She just thinks Im younger (smile).

It is the stentless porcine they are going to use. They said it should probably last anywhere from 10-15 years, maybe more.
This was a decision made due to my age and health and all the meds Im currently on. I have cardiomyopathy and CHF and GERD and Barretts esophagus and take many meds.

Im sure Lisa will keep everyone informed of my progress (which Im sure will be good).

:)

Latest posts

Back