Other symptoms??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiemember

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Many people on here have commented after their surgeries that they DID have symptoms previously but just hadn't realised it. It was only when these things improved after surgery that they realised they were connected. Currently, I too would say I am "without symptoms" so I am interested as to what these other symptoms were. Is there something you found really improved for you after surgery that you had no idea was caused by your heart problems???

Any input would be appreciated - Jeanne

Hi,

My memory certainly didn't improve :p

I think I had more dizzy spells and of course more fatigue. I still have both of those but probably much lee of it.

Stan

In general, the things are very subtle. Although I will never be an athlete at my age (61), I realize it is easier to walk fast on the treadmill at a greater speed and with slightly more of an incline, and afterwards I feel really good instead of wiped out. Also, I realize that especially after my endocarditis in 2004, I could never get a really good deep breath. I guess there were times when I just felt tired, whereas now, unless for some reason I don't sleep well, I just always feel great! Oh, another thing is that for about 10 years before the operation, I had almost constant palpitations (although the doctors never considered this a real symptom). I now have an occasional extrasystolic beat (PVC or PAC), but that's it.

Most of the things were, as Adrienne mentioned, subtle before the surgery. They came on very slowly, and were nearly imperceptible, and when noticed, easily fobbed off to age and inadequate activity.

As far as the symptoms, we are our own worst enemies when it comes to recognizing them. The changes in our bodies creep up in such slow increments that we don't notice the change. We want to believe in our health, so we move ahead in such denial that we literally do not heed our own bodies' warnings. We tend to second-guess and rationalize our symptoms away.

Getting winded faster, feeling lethargic, poor recovery from colds or flu, trouble sleeping, decrease of "manly abilities," palpitations, increased difficulty handling heat/cold, short of breath at altitudes, general fatigue, and even occasional dizziness are all symptoms that are easily explained away to ourselves.

Another is angina, which is not as easy to recognize as you might think. Angina doesn't always show up when we are exercising, and often shows up as a slight or moderate, uncomfortable tightness at the top of the throat or as a feeling in the top of the lungs like you may get from breathing cold air. It can be a feeling of pressure in the chest, or may be pain that radiates down the back. For women, it's even more difficult to recognize, often showing up as jaw pain. The classic picture of someone clutching at their left side just isn't the case for most.

Best wishes,

Jee......

Jee......

*Jeez....I dont know whether to laugh or cry. I have every symptom that you mention BOB (oh except for the ''inability to do manly things'') just because of the fact that im a woman hehe. Soo, I almost cried reading that, as I have it ALL, and more. But then when I think that someone, somewhere, sometime will surely see that I need surgery, and I could possible feel ''well'' ....that makes me smile. *I have a gp appointment tomorrow so I hope to ''get some help'' for me, and for my son. Sorry for moaning...today is one of those days when it is weighing heavy on my shoulders...but then we never know what tomorrow will bring. Two young doctors have started at my docs surgery, so I have made an appointment to see one of them tomorrow instead of my usual doc.

Jeanne. I'll echo everything Bob said also (yes, yes, except the manly thing). It's hard to describe the general feeling of malaise. You just know something is not right. The SOB increased dramatically for me. The need for naps increased. My skin got rather grey, deep circles under my eyes. Wakefullness in the middle of the night with inability to regain sleep. Almost stress symptoms that one would experience during a heavily burdened or emotional time, and yet it all came from the stress the body was under trying to survive with the imperfect heart.

This holiday season marked 8 months post op for me. Last holiday we knew I'd be headed for surgery in the spring. I thought I felt more easily tired this season than last season. You know, feeling SO much better, but still not having all my stamina back for all the hub-bub of the holidays. When I mentioned that, my whole family looked at me as if I were nuts. No. I was much more tired last season. Much.

I had a difficult time impressing my cardio of my symptoms. I don't know what she was waiting for....for me to faint??? It can be frustrating since not everyone is so glaringly symptomatic. I'm overweight and they attributed much of my complaints to that when in fact, I knew they were wrong. In the end, the numbers got me to surgery. I would never wait the full year between echoes....I went every 6 months.

Good luck, hang in there!

Marguerite

EireCara

"But then when I think that someone, somewhere, sometime will surely see that I need surgery, and I could possible feel ''well'' ....that makes me smile. "

That confuses me, back in November you said the hospital wanted you to stay overnight so they could run a battery of tests on you, you refused and signed a form to say you were ignoring their advice and their tests. If you will not have the tests how can they decide whether you need surgery now?

Your post in November said...

"I went to my gp yesterday afternoon, he wanted me to go to the hospital but I said no because I needed to go home to my kids, so he said come back in the morning. I went back thismorning and gave in and went to the assessment unit at my local hospital.
There they took blood, chest x-ray and ecg. The doc said 'I see you have an irr heartbeat (no surprise to me). He wanted me to stay overnight to have some tests but I couldnt (same reason, kids) I had to sign a waver form on leaving and the doc said ''I thing we will be seeing you again soon''."

?????Sue??????

?????Sue??????

sue943 said:
EireCara

"But then when I think that someone, somewhere, sometime will surely see that I need surgery, and I could possible feel ''well'' ....that makes me smile. "

That confuses me, back in November you said the hospital wanted you to stay overnight so they could run a battery of tests on you, you refused and signed a form to say you were ignoring their advice and their tests. If you will not have the tests how can they decide whether you need surgery now?

In November they wanted me to stay overnight so they could do a ''stress test in the morning''....As I live literally round the corner from the hospital (I can see it from my house) I said I needed to go home to be with my kids but could come over to the hospital first thing in the morning.The doc didnt like me ''not doing exactly as he wanted'' so he wouldnt agree. I certainly never used the term ''battery of tests'' when I posted in November, nor did I say I was ignoring their advice or their tests. I SEEM TO CAUSE YOU CONFUSION, AS I REMEMBER YOU SAYING YOU WERE CONFUSED BY ME WHEN I FIRST JOINED ???????PERHAPS YOU SHOULD IGNORE MY POSTS IN FUTURE !!!!!!

Thanks so much everyone for your responses - much appreciated!! I saw my cardio in December and my numbers hadn't changed so I am on the 6 month cycle again with a stress echo in June. He always asks me about symptoms so it has been really helpful to have everyone's responses so I have a better idea of what I need to be aware of. Really don't know what I'd do without VR.com - you guys are awesome :)

I stand corrected, you actually posted...

"He wanted me to stay overnight to have some tests"

That implies multiple tests, so ok, it wasnt' a battery but you did not say it was one test nor that you were returning to have the test the following day.

Several of us were very alarmed at your post at that time, we urged you to have whatever tests were required, to get someone to care for your children.

Sue!!!

Sue!!!

I certainly do not want to either 'confuse' or 'alarm' you Sue....so as I said earlier, perhaps it would be an idea for you to simply 'ignore' my posts in future, therfore avoiding anymore confusion/alarm.

I had a couple things that must have been symptoms because they went away after surgery. I had an odd irritation at the top of my sternum (where my Thyroid is). It made it EXTREMELY uncomfortable to wear t-shirts and anything else that rested against my neck. I had went to a couple doctors who did Thyroid tests on me, but everything came out normal. It wasn?t until it went away after surgery that I realized it must have been related. Another possible symptom that has went away is an overall issue with body temperature and sweating (gross, I know). I had an extremely tough time wearing long sleeved shirts because I felt like I was immediately overheating and would begin to sweat. As you can imagine, it was very annoying to be sweating as I sat at my desk during the day at work with a room temperature of 70F. As with the neck issues, the sweating has pretty much completely gone away after surgery.

In addition, I had a couple of the more ?traditional? symptoms such as SOB during heavy exertion ? mainly sprinting. I also had occasional bouts with nocturnal dyspnea. I never had an issue climbing stairs and I don?t think I was ever fatigued.

Let's see if I can go back in time and remember some of that: These things came on gradually and I really thought that perhaps I just wasn't aging well. I also thought that other people probably felt the same way as I did.

I was exhausted. If I did some big chore like washing the house windows, I was wiped out for a few days after, just exhausted. Sometimes when I would get out of the shower in the morning, I would have to go lay down for a little while, exhausted. I had trouble getting complete breaths and some especially weak-feeling days I would have these really sickly little hollow coughs and also some strange extra heartbeats would knock the breath out of me. Hot and humid days especially wiped me out.

I started having more sudden bursts of strange heartbeats and dizzy and faint-feeling episodes and these eventually would come on me while I was just sitting and visiting with friends. These got worse and I was on the verge of passing out. BTW, one important thing I read later (somewhere) is that sometimes with a failing bicuspid valve, when the person finally actually passes out is when they expire.

I got where I could hardly bring groceries in from the car, or vacuum, or do any normal household chore without sitting down to rest, and the rest sometimes extended into the next day. Everything just exhausted me. I looked ill in the face, my eyes were kind of glassy and ill looking. I bloated, all puffy all over, a lot. I had sick achey pains, which I later found out was angina, which came upon exertion up both sides of my neck and in my back between my shoulder blades. I also had some vision disturbances, a lot of headaches. I had trouble walking any incline, even a slight one. I had a few episodes, with a very sudden onset of a sharp pain in my back and I really thought I was about to die until the episode stopped.

Overall, the symptoms got slowly worse and then they began to get rapidly worse. Deep within me, I truly felt like I was dying. There are probably other things that I'm not remembering right now. When they did my angiogram, the doctors said I had "weeks, not months" to get the AVR done. The surgery was a week and a half after that. My original bicuspid valve was in pieces.

All of those symptoms suddenly disappeared with the new valve; and especially, I don't have that feeling like I'm dying now. It wasn't an emotional/hysterical feeling; it was some knowledge/recognition deep within my body. The before and after difference for me was really amazing.

Hi Susan....

Hi Susan....

*That was some pretty awful symptoms you had Susan....Im very glad you are feeling so much better. :cool:

Hope I didn't go into too much detail:eek:. In the beginning, I didn't connect any of this to the valve, even though I was aware of having a bicuspid. My thyroid became sluggish somewhere along the line and I thought that was why I seemed excessively tired, even though I took thyroid medication. Tobagotwo mentioned "poor recovery from colds or flu" and that became an issue for me too. It really wasn't until I "got to the other side" postop and was suddenly much better in many ways, that I realized how gradually I had just run down.

trouble waking up

trouble waking up

I've noticed post-surgery that I can actually wake up and get out of bed when my alarm goes off in the morning. I struggled to pull myself to consciousness before surgery and would be chronically late to work and feel extremely fatigued both physically and emotionally - a kind of 'i can't handle it' feeling.

Also maybe or maybe not related, I had held sales positions where I travelled around the midwest until about 4 years before surgery, then gravitated towards desk jobs where I could sit most of the time.

Now I'm back into sales, travelling, and loving it.

I had also become pasty yellow/white complected, and hadn't noticed it. For you girls, I had to go 2 shades darker for my foundation color. Now that's weird!!

Also feel like I can breathe during exercise, and am not totally a zombie the day after exercise. Overall, a dramatic change. And I was 'asymptomatic'. I wouldn't have changed my story to do it all over again, though, I really was watching for symptoms it was just a more pervasive change that I couldn't really detect. Good thing I started getting shortness of breath aft4er going up stairs or I'd still be getting into hot water for being late to work!

Patty

I would say just a feeling of absolute tiredness, i was often in bed asleep by 830pm feeling knackered and just blaming life, kids, job for feeling that way.

I also had no stamina/energy for doing anything and had a 'can't be arsed' attitude.

There would be odd times when i didn't feel breathless but i'd have to stop and make a consious effort to take a long deep breath to 'catch up'.

Everything has disappeared post surgery.

Like so many have said before I was lacking energy which I had just put down to getting older. Now 3 months post op I have my old energy levels back and feel really energetic. I now go to gym 3 times a week and swim squad, and am back into surfing. Oh not to forget the love life is better.

Other symptoms were a pain in the chest that developed whenever I was under physical or mental strain. The same pain came on with drinking coffee. So far so good the pain has not re surfaced.

Blood pressure has gone down. I usually pre op was 145-155 over 85 now it is 110 - 125 over 70 -75 I'm hoping it stays down however a number of members have posted that it creaps back up over 6months.
Cheers and good luck. Chris

my list..

very very fatigued.. got worse the last 6mo before surgery ( I had no idea my valve was worse)
Needed a nap daily, loss of focus
ALWAYS COLD
SOB.. I couldn't finish a sentence without gasping for air. couldn't sing a song in church, couldn't walk and talk.. I didn't realize how badly I was breathing till dh pointed it out one day.
Had a lump feeling in my chest.. kind of like the sensation of having a pill stuck that didnt' go down right..
NEver had that again since surgery

sometimes I think that the symptoms come on so slowly that we don't quite recognize them as symptoms, and pass them off as life.. ie. getting older, out of shape whatever the case may be.

Latest posts

Back