Osteoporosis, Actonel, & coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine susan

Hi! I've been on coumadin for 3+ years now since my aortic valve was replaced 2/99 due to a congenital heart defect. I have also been on HRT for a number of years, but can't say I have always been good about the calcium supplements. Anyway, the result of a screening bone density test is that I already have osteoporosis. Great! My wonderful doctor has me trying something called Actonel which is apparently similar to Fosomax, but not the same chemical combination. I tolerate it well so plan to continue with it as it should reverse the osteporosis in about 5 years or maybe less. My INR usually runs on the high side of normal which makes me very happy. Thre is no indication that it is a problem with the coumadin but my first INR after beginning the Actonel came in about 2.5, unusual for me so I have to go back again next week for cardio's coumadin clinic to check again, now after 2 doses. I can find plenty of info about Actonel but nowhere is there any coumadin information about the combination. Actonel is taken once a week only. Anyway, anyone out there know anything about a specific interaction? Guess I will find out more next week, but in the meantime thought I would ask if anyone else has had experience with this combination of meds. I don't take anything else other than the HRT which certainly didn't help with the bone item. Thanks, Susan:cool:

I have never seen a problem with this combination. The way that Actonel is metabolized would lead us to believe that there should be no problem.

Latest posts

Back