Opinions on stentless valves?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I want to make sure he addresses the aorta. It is my understanding that the aneurysm is right where the aortic root comes out of the heart. I wil just have to wait and see what he has in mind. I don't want to do this twice if I can help it. Thanks John

Just seconding what Bob said. I know my aneurysm was right at the 5.0 magic mark, then went to 5.3 on last echo, and was measured at 5.5 day of surgery. So want to get that sucker under control, because it can grow at a dangerous pace.

My surgeon used the freestyle both times, but AVR1 didn't include the root replacement just the valve. It turns out I'm quite a classic case of BAV since my aortic root had began to dilate within the six years it took for the pannus cells to overgrow my valve enough that I required a second surgery. Needless to say, with AVR2 I had the complete Medtronic, freestyle, stentless porcine valve and aortic root placed between my heart and ascending aorta. My surgeon preferred the stentless since its smaller outer circumference allowed a larger effective valve area to be used in my relatively small annulus.

I called medtronics and talked with them about their stentless valve. I wanted to know if they had a version that included the ascending aorta. They said no that it did include the root but if I need the ascending aorta also it would be done with a graft. I read a study on mafin syndrome pacients where they did get them to include enough lenth to include the asceding aorta. It looke promising but it was a small group. I guess the jury is still out on that part.

Hi there John.

I had the freestyle implanted in 06 and have been doing great. I am now placing in the top 10 for my age and category for mountain bike racing (six hour races, I may do a 12 hour later this year). My son (nine) also ran his first 5K this past Saturday and I ran it with him, sort of, he lapped me :eek: and finished fourth overall at a 7:30 pace :cool:.

I get an MRI every year and the valve looks great. The only issue I have is a new aneurysm by the arch. I am also part of a study being done by medtronic for the valve in younger patients. I was 39 at the time of surgery.

Good luck no matter what your choice.

Dacron velour and similar material graft sleeves are commonly used for both mechanical and tissue valves to replace larger sections of the aorta. Your body's endothelial cells "claim" those types of fabric, infiltrate it, and make it completely yours within the first six months of recovery.

St. Jude has a mechanical Masters line that comes with the graft already attached, but other mechanical valves and tissue valves have it attached on the spot during surgery. It's not an unusual or uncommon step during surgery, when needed.

Best wishes,

tobagotwo
I have read a couple of times where folks talk about having their aorta wraped with dacon. Is this a different procedure or are they just misunderstanding what was done?

mntbiker
Hope the anuerysm does not get bigger. Do they think this is part of a connective tissue disorder?

Back