Open Heart surgeries and Neurological problems

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never been the same after surgery, losing my ability to sleep, and also having ocular migraines frequent enough. These kaleidoscope like onsets moves across my vision and dissipate in about 20-30 minutes. I often wonder what effects all the meds I take have on me.
I think too many meds have many poor effects. That's why I've been somewhat dosing myself on Keppra. It made me so depressed initially

I think too many meds have many poor effects. That's why I've been somewhat dosing myself on Keppra. It made me so depressed initially
while some people will tell you "always only listen to your Dr" I think that flies in the face of the other advice of the need to advocate for yourself.

What I'd say is don't behave recklessly and do try to follow common sense and thought out views. Inform yourself ONLY from medical peer reviewed studies or journal articles. From that information make decisions in consultation on the pros and cons and then follow your own data (meaning your keep records).

Everything (even following medical advice) is a gamble to some extent.

Best Wishes

while some people will tell you "always only listen to your Dr" I think that flies in the face of the other advice of the need to advocate for yourself.

What I'd say is don't behave recklessly and do try to follow common sense and thought out views. Inform yourself ONLY from medical peer reviewed studies or journal articles. From that information make decisions in consultation on the pros and cons and then follow your own data (meaning your keep records).

Everything (even following medical advice) is a gamble to some extent.

Best Wishes

I agree. I've been very proactive about my care and question Drs when it comes to various issues. In this case I felt awful on Keppra when first taking it. They put you on a twice a day dose of 750mg. I immediately went from a happy person to depressed, sad, and very hopeless. Since decreasing it to what they call "below the recommended dose for someone who has had two Grand Mal seizures" I've been feeling much better. I may completely stop taking it at some point because both the EEG in December of 2022 and the recent June Ambulatory EEG have come back with no issues. The seizures both occured a few months after the OHS.

A few things after my first open heart. I was a great speller with something like a photographic memory. I would know exactly when I last saw a patient several years before. The date and time. I occasionally testified as an expert witness and would not need to refer to the notes. It was pretty great as the opposing lawyers knew quickly they were in trouble, if they tested the boundaries of that. I lost most of that and its a bit worse now 23 years later. Also a tremor evolved in my left hand when pointing at items, which I noticed when showing radiographic images to folks. Not my right side at all. I still have this but can work around it. Finally, I could do extensive calculations without a calculator. I now have calculators wherever I sit. I will transpose numbers and have to focus hard on picturing what I saw to not do so. For some reason, nothing got worse after the next two procedures, which is good. I am aware that mri's on tavr patients, for example, show something that can be called damage which is thought to be clinically insignificant.

I am about 6 months post surgery. Memory used to be perfect but no longer the case.. Reaction and focus is bad too.

Curious to know if you did a brain MRI after the first open heart?

Hi

I am about 6 months post surgery. Memory used to be perfect but no longer the case.. Reaction and focus is bad too.
the brain is plastic and rebuildable, so I strongly suggest you start doing some exersizes for it like cross words, and other IQ type tests ... don't start with a high bar. Its like what you'd do at the gym, if you've had a year off then you have to start on the muscles gently (but consistently).

It won't come back by itself, but it does come back if you work on it.

Hi

the brain is plastic and rebuildable, so I strongly suggest you start doing some exersizes for it like cross words, and other IQ type tests ... don't start with a high bar. Its like what you'd do at the gym, if you've had a year off then you have to start on the muscles gently (but consistently).

It won't come back by itself, but it does come back if you work on it.
My neurological problems got better w/o any "mind exercises." No therapy was recommended by the cardio, surgeon, rehab nurse or two neurologists. They said it should get better with time.

You use the term "plastic" but I think you really mean "elastic" the ability of a body to resist a distorting influence and to return to its original size and shape when that influence or force is removed. The brain is not really elastic. Like any tissue the brain can heal.

Last edited:

Curious to know if you did a brain MRI after the first open heart?
I didn't. I know its possible some calcium would show up but essentially there would be nothing to do about any imaging findings.

My neurological problems got better w/o any "mind exercises." No therapy was recommended by the cardio, surgeon, rehab nurse or two neurologists. They said it should get better with time.

You use the term "plastic" but I think you really mean "elastic" the ability of a body to resist a distorting influence and to return to its original size and shape when that influence or force is removed. The brain is not really elastic. Like any tissue the brain can heal.
well, the popular term that caught on many years ago is neuroplasticity.

I experienced occasional (maybe a few times a year) grey outs in my left eye for about 5-7 years before surgery.
I probably get them more frequently now (one every 6 weeks or so)
Since surgery I also get occasional bouts of double vision, and my memory is definitely not as good as it was

I experienced occasional (maybe a few times a year) grey outs in my left eye for about 5-7 years before surgery.
I probably get them more frequently now (one every 6 weeks or so)
Since surgery I also get occasional bouts of double vision, and my memory is definitely not as good as it was
Any investigating done?

To all that may have heard this, I suffer from what is known as Pump Head. There were times when I returned to work and had to retrain on everything I used to do very well. Had to take many notes or I would forget. I would forget how to do things and it was frustrating. Not as bad since I have left the working world and stay home most of the time, I do not suffer as much from pump head. But I have my moments. But feeling better these days.

Latest posts

Back