ONX Clinical Trial Free Monitor and Testing supplies

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake777

Found this for ONX, home testing clinical trial. I am in this trial, but I got on it through my surgeons. But you get a free testing monitor and strips and lancets. Don't know how old this is or if it's still going on, but looks like you just put in your email and get more information on it. Thought I'd share this, don't know if this is already listed somewhere on the forum.

http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-disease/valve/?ic=1103

Read about who is eligible, and this can become quite interesting.

If you're already on this forum, it's likely that you're already being anticoagulated. If so, unless you're scueduled to have your aortic or mitral valve replaced with an ON-X, you don't qualify.

If you DO quality, the standard research protocol is to randomly put you into three groups - one that takes the standard anticoagulants and maintains the 'recommended' dosing (to keep you within the clinically suggested range of INRs), one to take reduced amounts of warfarin plus aspirin to maintain a lower INR, and one with just aspirin and plavix. This is typical of this type of testing. What this means, though, is that you may be theoretically put into a range that might increase your risk of stroke -- I'm hoping that they've already got some pretty solid evidence based on animal (non-human animals) that suggest the reduced INR does NOT put you at risk of stroke.

Just something to think about..

I have been on this program for a year and I take whatever I need to get in range. There has never been a problem with how much or how little I take. I guess they just monitor how much you need, not how much they tell you to take. So again, I have been told to lower or raise my dose to stay within target range 2.5 - 3.5.

Back