One Year!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_L

I haven't been on the board for awhile. We moved back to Texas recently and I started a new job. Today's my one year anniversary. I feel great! I may go an entire week without even thinking about the surgery or the valve. Yes, the warfarin management is a minor annoyance, but it's not too bad. I'm doing anything I want. I even put away the electric razor and went back to blades about a month ago.

Our new neighborhood has a swimming pool. I went for the first time last weekend. I joked all week about 'Frankenstein is now entering the pool', due to my anxiety about the scar. Turned out to be a non-event. No one seemed to care.

The scar gradually fades. One month after my AVR surgery, I took my daughter to a Father-Daughter dinner. I embarrassed the hell out of her (and many of her friends) when I participated in an 'I'll show you my scar if you show me yours' display with the other fathers who've had open heart surgeries. People don't really seem to care about that scar.

Congrats on the anniversary.

Having a rather hairy chest, my scar was never clearly visible, but it did fade over time too.

I'm on a forced break from swimming just after working up to 1 mile. The town outdoor pool closed Aug 22 and the indoor sessions don't start until Sep 9. I feel like I'll have to start all over. I know that isn't so but once you get into decent shape, it feels like 2 weeks off will take it all away.

Latest posts

Back