One Week Until The Big Cut!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawdog

Mentally preparing for going in next week to have my ascending aorta repaired and my BAV replaced. After speaking with my surgeon and cardiologist last week, I have decided to go with an ON-X mechanical valve over a tissue valve. While I am not thrilled with the prospect of lifetime anticoagulant therapy, my cardiologist convinced me that, at 41, the risk of future surgeries, due to the unpredictability of tissue valves in younger patients, is not worth a warfarin-free life.

In any case I am very excited to begin living the rest of my life as a cyborg! And thankful that we live in a time where critical parts of our bodies can be repaired so well.

Best of everything Lawdog! My day is next Tuesday. Although mine is supposed to be a "small" cut, minimally invasive, no sternum cutting. By this time next week I'll be in recovery and I'm told they'll have me up and walking around already. Scary but not scared. I know not having surgery is scarier. I'm also getting the On-x. From what I've read and the lower Coumadin of the onx should almost be a non issue with little to no impact on lifestyle.

Best to you as well, hectic! I am going in next Tuesday as well! I will be thinking of you. Unfortunately, due to my aorta fix, I am getting the full baked treatment - sternum opened up.

I agree with your cardio. Warfarin ACT is not difficult to live with if it means staying off the "table" in the future......and my experience is that it interferes little with my life and lifestyle. Best of luck to you and almost_hectic.

Hi there

Lawdog;n857233 said:
Mentally preparing for going in next week to have my ascending aorta repaired and my BAV replaced

best wishes ... I hope that it all goes well and is (as they say) uneventful.

If you are complaining about the food then we'll know that there are no problems (bigger than the hospital food).

In any case I am very excited to begin living the rest of my life as a cyborg! And thankful that we

welcome to the cyborg club.

A small 'humor' video I sliced out of Dune to represent the way many feel about warfarin.

[ link ]

I've been meaning to get around to redoing the voices to be the surgeon (the Baron) and the hospital pharmacist showing the new heart plug victim how they will need to live their lives

what can I say .. Aussies have black humor

see ya on the other side

Good luck Lawdog. We will all be thinking of you ... Life will get a lot better. I am 25 days after AVR with Mechanical (I am 51 YO) ... there are no right and wrong choices .. just ones you feel are right given all you know. I am sure you will get gold standard care and be on your feet very quickly ... You have a very long life ahead of you after this ... We have a lot to be grateful for.

Hello,
I was completely on the fence between tissue and carbon. When I first looked into this many years ago they were using a steel ball and a metal cage. I went with tissue but I am 10 years older. And the bummer is that you have to make this decision before going through the surgery or living with Coumadin. Like choosing between aged porterhouse or Parmesan crusted halibut without ever having tasted either. If you ask people you will get opinions for sure.
I was on Coumadin for 3 months post surgery and other than the frustration of trying to stay in my range ( I'm convinced it was mostly due to not having enough feedback ie daily testing at first using the self testing tools) I didn't have any issues. Diet-wise or bleeding-wise. Pellicle has some great info to help with this.
Good luck with surgery. You'll be loving water and feeling better before you know it

Hey Lawdog, I am scheduled to have my cut on the 12th of Aug. I'm 54 and this is round 2. Mechanical at your age is probably a good choice but every one is different. I had a bovine installed almost 10 years to the month. My surgeon wanted to due the surgery the next day after my echo but I to needed a little time to let things sink in. Anywho, best wishes and we'll see you when you come over the mountain as they often say . Good luck, prayers be with you. Thanx, Tank

Thank you all for your well wishes.

Tank: Good luck next week! And thank you for relating your story. You have reassured me that mechanical is the way to go.

Look for updates next week from MGH!

Hi Lawdog

Your positive attitude will most surely contribute to the very best outcome.

My story began in 02/2015 57yr old, originally diagnosed with BAV, w/regurgitation. I spent little time in the waiting room regurgitation went from mild to severe, as my condition rapidly worsened. On 6/2/15 OHS w/MHV, 23mm Onx. full sternotomy went well I just had an 8wk echo which showed a well seated annulus and no leaks. The valve has not been noticeable at all to me or others. I have had two short bouts with Pericarditis but all-told the valve takes a licking and keeps on clicking.

You’re on your way to feeling better and better health. Best of luck and looking forward to hearing of your full recovery.

Nick

Today, I am at Great Wolf Lodge in Fitchburg, MA with my wife and kids. They are young, 8, 6 & 5, and really don't understand what us happening to daddy next week. My wife is very positive but is also very nervous as we approach Tuesday. While I am anxious for Tuesday to get here, it is somewhat bittersweet. My son's birthday is on Aug. 11, hence the trip to the overnight fun park now, before surgery so we can celebrate his birthday. Other than a quick post on here, all of us are trying to forget what's coming and focus on a fun weekend for the kids. Their smiles alone are enough to get me through the surgery and get back to living life as their healthy daddy.

Thank you all again for your well wishes; they mean the world to us.

You'll be back home with them before you know it. My son is 8, I had surgery 6 months ago today, and he knew what was happening was serious and he was worried but they don't totally get it at that age.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back