One month post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ron K

Well, it's been an interesting month. :)

In some ways, it seems like it couldn't have been a month ago that I had my AVR, but other times, it seems like it was much longer ago.

Anyway, I'm doing fine and feeling better every day. With the exception of the first couple of days on percoset, which I still don't remember, every day has been a little better than the day before.

I'm now walking 2 miles in about 45 minutes almost every day. I missed a few days due to bad weather, but I have been pretty good about getting plenty of exercise. I've been cleared to drive again and I have no more side effects from any of my medications. In fact, most of them are finished and I'm now off them.

The only real restriction I have now is on lifting. I still have the 5 - 10 lb. limit. This bothers me most when I'm not able to do some of the things around the house that I normally do, like carry out the recycling buckets, carry in groceries,etc. I do feel that I'm losing upper body strength from not doing these normal activities. And of course I'm not back to bowling yet and probably won't be until the end of May or so.

I'm still very optimistic about life and so grateful for the successful outcome of my surgery. Now my wife and I can really begin enjoying retirement together, (Her last day of work was on January 25th, her 55th birthday!)

We just booked a trip to NYC to see a Braodway play in April, we have a bus trip to Atlantic City schedule in a couple of weeks, and in May we are going to a resort in North Jersey for a week. In June, we'll head back up to Vt. to visit our son and daughter-in-law for a while.

Life is GRAND!

Ron K

way to go!!

way to go!!

Atta Boy Ron!!

Glad everything is working for you. I only hope I do as well when my time comes. I luuuuuv positive reports!!

Jack ( Welland )

Hi Ron,

Sounds like things are really looking up for you. Keep that positive attitude going!

Muscles have memory, and as soon as they lift your weight lifting restrictions, you will find that you will re-gain that upper body strength very quickly.

Enjoy, and if you ever plan a trip through Nashville, please let me know.

Rob

Hi Ron,

Glad everything is going so well for you. Sounds like except for the lifting restriction, everythings almost back to normal. It must be great to get the o.k. to drive. I know it's driving me nuts having my wife drive me around all over, I mean, SHE DRIVES THE SPEED LIMIT, GRRRR. :)

I've heard different times from different sources regarding being able to lift weights again. Six weeks from the surgeon at a pre-surgery consult, 2 months from a cardio at the hospital, 4 months from the surgical fellow who assisted. Well however long it takes, I'll get back to it soon enough.

Hope you have a good time on your upcoming trips. I might be coming back east to drive my daughters car back to school for her. She goes to Villanova and it looks like might have an internship in NY, NY.

Congrats on the wifes retirement.

Chris

Hey Ron-

Super going!!:) You're flying, man. Have a wonderful time with all the festivities you've planned.

Nice not to worry about your heart, isn't it?

Congrats Ron!

Congrats Ron!

Great news, Ron! I remember reading about your first couple of days, but I knew you'd get through it.

Glad to see you are enjoying life...keep it up!

Hi Ron!

Great Going! What a difference a month makes. Isn't it wonderful that you and your wife can enjoy your retirement now that your surgery is behind you? LIFE IS GRAND! Keep that PMA!:)

hi ron!
i'm so thrilled to see you're recovering so nicely. just think, from here on it just gets better and you just get stronger.
isn't that a great thing to look forward to? it'll all come in good time.

rob is right, muscles have memory and you'll regain your upper body strength in no time, you'll see.

i'm really happy you're doing so well.hope you have a wonderful bunch of trips!
stay well,
sylvia

GREAT NEWS Ron !

And very INSPIRING !

I hope my upcoming surgery is a successful as yours. I'm still trying to get comfortable with the reality of it all. After so many invasive procedures (catheterizations, angioplaties, CABG, TEE's), I can't help wondering how many aces in a row I can draw. Really would like to have another talk with the surgeon to get pumped up for it.

That raises another question:

How much time did you (anybody? everybody?) spend discussing your surgery with your surgeon? How many pre-op visists? How did you approach asking about his experience / success rates etc? Bottom line, how did you get comfortable with your selection of a surgeon?

'AL'

Aces

Aces

Hi Al,

I answered your questions about getting comfortable with your choice of surgeons in another post to you a few minutes ago.

I did want to comment on your analogy about playing cards ("how many aces can I draw in a row") Take a more positive view, Al. When the success rate for the type of surgery you are going to have is 98 to 99%, you're playing with a deck that contains 51 aces. :) In addition, every procedure is a new hand, so the aces you've drawn before are back in the deck keeping your odds just as favorable each time.

I think at a certain point, you have to really accept that you need this surgery and begin to trust someone. It's not a blind trust, but it's one that doesn't need everything covered in great detail.

What you're dealing with is what makes the waiting period the hardest part. I hope you can get enough informatin to relax a little and begin focusing on how well you'll feel after it's over. I suggest you start planning your next vacation with the family and ways to make it a little more special for you.

Ron K :)

Latest posts

Back