One Month Out Now

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oilman

Well, thought I would post a one month update, also wish all a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to come. I think things are going as they should, I have been walking lots and decided, because of our cold weather and snow and ice, that I was brave enough to walk on our treadmill. Well that has proven to be just fine. I watch my heart rate and with the BB, it seems to be quit normal, resting at 70 bpm, and with my walking increases to a safe zone of 95 bpm, then returns at a good rate on my cool down. I am walking twice a day for 60 mins each = 2 miles per walk. I start cardio rehab on New Year day, looking forward to learning more about how I can continue to progress in a safe manner with my recovery.

Maybe my only complaint is my scar hasn't healed off completely, but looking like it will. I did have a little leaking in spots, called the surgeon, then visited him the next day, he said looks good and just a few pockets draining, this is normal for some.This whole experience has given me a new perspective on life. It's been a challenge to reframe from all the Xmas food, but I have been very regimented. Just to be on the safe side, that low sodium diet. I guess at times I feel the wheels might fall off, then I give my head a shake and that thought passes quickly.

Also I hear my clicking On-X valve a lot more than I did in the hospital, so that's been a bit to get used to. Oh we'll, its only at the real quiet times, and if I get back to my normals activities one day, the Diesel engines and rig equipment will drown that out.

I feel like this whole experience has made me so much more grateful for life, and realize how precious it really is, so thanks to all once again, for sharing your experience, strength and hope with me. Sure feel like I didn't go this alone.

Doug

Good for you, Doug! I was in Red Deer yesterday, doing some shopping with the DW. The walking felt good, but pooped me right out; by the time we were done, I was done. Glad to hear you are coming along nicely, and that your walks are working out. Like you, I haven't been outside much, but I've been a little afraid of the treadmill, so far. Given how quickly I tired yesterday, maybe I need to get over that.

Here's hoping thing keep going well for you, buddy!

Jim

Well, thought I would post a one month update, also wish all a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to come. I think things are going as they should, I have been walking lots and decided, because of our cold weather and snow and ice, that I was brave enough to walk on our treadmill. Well that has proven to be just fine. I watch my heart rate and with the BB, it seems to be quit normal, resting at 70 bpm, and with my walking increases to a safe zone of 95 bpm, then returns at a good rate on my cool down. I am walking twice a day for 60 mins each = 2 miles per walk. I start cardio rehab on New Year day, looking forward to learning more about how I can continue to progress in a safe manner with my recovery.

Maybe my only complaint is my scar hasn't healed off completely, but looking like it will. I did have a little leaking in spots, called the surgeon, then visited him the next day, he said looks good and just a few pockets draining, this is normal for some.This whole experience has given me a new perspective on life. It's been a challenge to reframe from all the Xmas food, but I have been very regimented. Just to be on the safe side, that low sodium diet. I guess at times I feel the wheels might fall off, then I give my head a shake and that thought passes quickly.

Also I hear my clicking On-X valve a lot more than I did in the hospital, so that's been a bit to get used to. Oh we'll, its only at the real quiet times, and if I get back to my normals activities one day, the Diesel engines and rig equipment will drown that out.

I feel like this whole experience has made me so much more grateful for life, and realize how precious it really is, so that's to all once again for sharing your experience, strength and hope with me. Sure feel like I didn't go this alone.

Doug

Doug, I have not been on the board much as of late but really what a pleasure to read your update and the fact Jim is doing well as well and neither one has been under snow withh all you have ....we just got our first load and I plan on puuting a large addition on the igloo this year with all the building material we now have LOL

igloo.jpg

:biggrin2::biggrin2:​

Great to hear that both of you (Jim and Doug) are doing well. I agree with you, Doug, that with the weather we've been having in western Canada, the treadmill is the way to go. I get bored faster than you do, so I've been only doing 30 minutes per day, but at slightly higher intensity to get my heart rate a bit over 100. Also doing a few light weights to put a bit of muscle back on my scrawny frame. i completely agree with your last paragraph, Doug; I feel like this is the first Christmas of the rest of my life, and see a lot of things differently now. It will be such a treat to get to play and sing at my son's wedding next Thursday, considering how close I came to not being around for it at all.

Keep up the good recovery work, guys, and Happy NEW Year to all!

I'm also happy to hear (from both of you), Doug and Jim -- way to go!

I think it doesn't matter summer or winter, IMO - it's good to recover initially inside (summers can be too hot/humid/rainy/windy whatever....)

Great attitudes also, keep thinking positive thoughts things do tend to get better as you go along.

Rachel

Way to go Jim and Doug. Keep up the great recovery. I also know I can quit whinning about cold weather. Here in California we think we are frozen when it gets down to 40°C. Thinking of what your weather is like I shiver....
Anyway, keep up the walking and enjoy your new perspective on life. Happy 2013 to you both.

Latest posts

Back