On-X Valve Noise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGARG

I am 12 days post op and doing quite well with my On-X valve. I do hear the valve, sometimes quite loud. It has affected me a lot yet, but sometimes in a quiet room i can really hear it.
Some folks have reported that the valve noise goes down with time? Is that true, or folks just get adjusted and your brain tunes out the noise. I'm not sure even sure what would change in a few months to dampen the noise. The valve is designed to operate the same way from day 1, so i wonder why would the noise go down. Any opinions from mech valve owners would be appreciated.

I don't think the noise usually get's less, it's just your perception of it. My cardio also mentioned that a strong click is healthy since it indicates a lack of pannus ingrowth or bacteria build-up. There are dome on this forum, however, that did notice a 100% reduction in noise (Dick's ball and cage valve).

No noise reduction for me. The noise level does change depending on the position you are in - e.g. I hear it less when I sleep on one side vs. the other, and can hear it really loud when I am in a position to do push ups. The noise level also depends on your body type/size. However, I very much doubt the noise level actually drops over time (unless there was something wrong I suppose).
Tony

I don't know about noise, but it seems possible. Early on, I could just sit and count my pulse because my heart pounded in my chest. Now I hardly ever feel it unless I take a deep breath into my lungs and hold it a few seconds. After a couple months it's like my heart figured out the new hydrodynamics and calmed down a bit.

Hi

river-wear;n846833 said:
... unless I take a deep breath into my lungs and hold it a few seconds. After a couple months it's like my heart figured out the new hydrodynamics and calmed down a bit.

actually that was an exersize which I did a few times successively (with a pause between them) when I was just sitting around and my HR was over 100. It seems to have helped in that my heart would slow down by a few percent at the end of it. That and deep slow breathing, all the way in (counting say 5 to 10 beats) and then slowly all the way (again counting 5 to 10 beats).

Either it worked or it was coincidental.

Your heart naturally starts to get larger and pumps blood harder because it is pumping through a faulty valve before the surgery. I wonder if once you get your new valve, it gradually returns to a more stable normal sized heart, pumping blood a little less aggressively than before. So it could theoretically get quieter over time as the heart reduces in size and doesn't pump blood as aggressively as before.

This is purely a hypothesis, but it would seem to make sense considering the physiology of the heart is not usually normal when you need to get an operation for valve replacement. Thoughts?

Arne: This is exactly my hypothesis as well. In fact my LV was enlarged quite a bit and my heart was pumping extra hard to compensate for the back flow. I'm hoping that it remodels and lerna that the pumping doesn't need to be this hard now. I also feel my heart pound harder with every beat...now that I can hear every beat with the valve, at least in quest places and even when I'm at rest. I'm these situations , my heart should be pumping gently after a while. Since my ventricle enlargement was more than most folks, it'll take time for it to settle down. I will report back my findings in a few months. I will try to make some accurate sound recordings to compare a few months down the road. Sounds like a fun project :)

Hi:
Two years since my surgery and On-X valve installation.
At first the valve noise was quite loud when I laying down trying to sleep. I had to lay on my side with my arms in a certain position to lessen the sound. Didn't hear it much at other times.
Now at 2 years plus, I either don't hear it at all or it doesn't bother me. Got used to it?
When I sit in my recliner with my cup of morning coffee against my chest, I can hear the click. Cup must amplify the sound.
Anyway, for me the valve sound is not a problem. Don't hear a thing most times.
Mike

Latest posts

Back