On-X valve implanted at UCLA

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcar

Has anyone had a On-X mitral valve implanted by Dr Shemin at UCLA? When Dr. Shemin gave me the news about having to replace my mitral valve, instead of repairing it. I was so shocked that I didn't discuss which valve. I'm 64 years old, fairly active, 15lbs overweight. Non smoker, drink a cold one once in awhile, 3 or 4 a month. I like the idea of keeping a lower i.n.r. So I'm thinking a On-X might be for me. I had never heard of pannea before.(excuse my spelling) So I guess thats also a benefit. I am currently have some light headiness, but other than that no other systoms. Do you think I should go ahead and replace the valve now, or wait until I get more systoms.

I had never heard of pannea before.(excuse my spelling) So I guess thats also a benefit......... Do you think I should go ahead and replace the valve now, or wait until I get more systoms.

Don't feel bad...I never heard of pannus (sp) either:eek2:, until I joined this forum 4 years ago, and yes, it is sometimes a blessing not knowind too much. Like you, I had few, if any, symptons although I had known for several years that I had a very loud "murmur". My docs got my attention when they warned me of the risk of "sudden death". I figured it might be better to get fixed BEFORE experiencing "sudden death":wink2:.

My docs got my attention when they warned me of the risk of "sudden death". I figured it might be better to get fixed BEFORE experiencing "sudden death":wink2:.

I asked my cardios at that time what "sudden death" meant. Their response was "dropping dead, at anytime, with NO warning".

This may have been my feeble attempt at poor humor. Too often, patients put off surgery waiting for more "sympton". The risk of "waiting" is "waiting too long"

The right time for surgery is a very personal and important decision. You and your medical team need to be in tune with your personal and individual health. As Sir Dick said before waiting too long is the only wrong choice, funny thing is when is "too long"

Long story short, don't wait for symptoms. If the doctor thinks it looks bad enough to do the surgery even without symptoms; what is the purpose of waiting? What is the benefit? Ask yourself these questions and answer them honestly and go from there. By the way, I'm having an On-X valve put in tomorrow in the aortic position.

Has anyone had a On-X mitral valve implanted by Dr Shemin at UCLA? When Dr. Shemin gave me the news about having to replace my mitral valve, instead of repairing it. I was so shocked that I didn't discuss which valve. I'm 64 years old, fairly active, 15lbs overweight. Non smoker, drink a cold one once in awhile, 3 or 4 a month. I like the idea of keeping a lower i.n.r. So I'm thinking a On-X might be for me. I had never heard of pannea before.(excuse my spelling) So I guess thats also a benefit. I am currently have some light headiness, but other than that no other systoms. Do you think I should go ahead and replace the valve now, or wait until I get more systoms.

Being 64 years old, hasn't your surgeon mentioned a tissue valve to you? Many (most ?) are very content implanting tissue valves in patients over 60 and much younger, as well. You may wish to do a little research about them and see if that suits you. Without any a-fib, you would at most only need coumadin for a few months post op. Some surgeons recommend 2-3 months and some don't require it at all.

In any case, the only bad choice you can make is to not make a choice and get the surgery done.
Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back