on warfarin and went through surgery ?!!?!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extraordinary

any one who has been on warfarin and went through any kind of surgery?? did they blood because this is a risk that comes a long with the warfarin ,
im considering having a rhinoplasty ( nose job ) in the near future but not that I'm on the warfarin i know there is a risk of bleeding it should be stopped before any kinda of operation ? who has been through this experience ?

i know it's not a must surgery that I'm talking about but I'm only 24 and have the normal desire that the young adults wants sometimes … but sure i wont risk my life for it

A lot of us on the forum have had various surgeries and many have had colonoscopes. Personally, I had a sinus operation a decade or so ago. In nearly all cases, we've either stopped warfarin, or waited until the INR was at a level that was not scaring our doctor. For things as simple as a dental extraction (not simple if it's YOUR tooth), reducing your INR is a definite consideration.

In some cases, people have discontinued warfarin entirely for a few days and either restarted it after surgery, or restarted and supplemented with Lovenox soon after surgery so the INR doesn't STAY low.

You're probably safe to drop your INR - possibly even around 1.5 or so - if you won't be keeping the INR that low for more than a few days.

A rhinoplasty shouldn't be too big an anticoagulation problem as long as your surgeon and cardiologist are up to date on modern practice and you follow their directions. (I'm not a doctor, so I can't and won't suggest what you should do, aside from get the advice from a doctor or two who know what they're doing).

for what its worth the last 2 surgeries I've had were deep scrape types to debride my OHD site of infection. I did not withhold warfarin on either of those occasions and was off warfarin and on heparin for only 2 days post op in the ICU.

Then I just got back onto warfarin with an open gash (dressed of course) at the top of my sternum twice for about 2 months healing time on each occasion.

Seemed to not cause any observable effects in my healing

for what its worth the last 2 surgeries I've had were deep scrape types to debride my OHD site of infection. I did not withhold warfarin on either of those occasions and was off warfarin and on heparin for only 2 days post op in the ICU.

Then I just got back onto warfarin with an open gash (dressed of course) at the top of my sternum twice for about 2 months healing time on each occasion.

Seemed to not cause any observable effects in my healing
who monitored you're INR AT THIS TIME ? where you cardiac surgery involved?

A lot of us on the forum have had various surgeries and many have had colonoscopes. Personally, I had a sinus operation a decade or so ago. In nearly all cases, we've either stopped warfarin, or waited until the INR was at a level that was not scaring our doctor. For things as simple as a dental extraction (not simple if it's YOUR tooth), reducing your INR is a definite consideration.

In some cases, people have discontinued warfarin entirely for a few days and either restarted it after surgery, or restarted and supplemented with Lovenox soon after surgery so the INR doesn't STAY low.

You're probably safe to drop your INR - possibly even around 1.5 or so - if you won't be keeping the INR that low for more than a few days.

A rhinoplasty shouldn't be too big an anticoagulation problem as long as your surgeon and cardiologist are up to date on modern practice and you follow their directions. (I'm not a doctor, so I can't and won't suggest what you should do, aside from get the advice from a doctor or two who know what they're doing).
few days like how many days ?
and how long should i wait since I've had my AVR 1 month ago ?
wouldn't i have a clot if i stop it and should i discuss it with my cardiac before stoping the warfarin ?

You should, of course, discuss this with your surgeon and cardiologist (if you have one).

My sinus surgery was at least 10 years after my AVR.

From what I understand, you probably should give the valve 3 months or so to more fully heal before other surgeries are performed, but, again, talk to your cardiologist, the heart surgeon (maybe), and the surgeon who is contemplating the rhinoplasty. If this rhinoplasty is cosmetic, rather than medically essential, it may be worthwhile waiting, although, from this angle, your nose looks just fine to me.

Latest posts

Back