NYHA Classifications (Grades I through VI)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kevin M

I've looked everywhere but cannot find descriptions of these. Anyone know where I can find them?
Kev

NHYA Classification

NHYA Classification

Hi Kevin:

To my knowledge there are only 4 classifications:

http://www.abouthf.org/edu9.html

Class Patient Symptoms
Class I (Mild) No limitation of physcial activity. Ordinary physical activity does not cause undue fatigue, palpitation, or dyspnea (shortness of breath).

Class II (Mild) Slight limitation of physcial activity. Comfortable at rest, but ordinary physical activity results in fatigue, palpitation, or dyspnea (shortness of breath).

Class III (Moderate) Marked limitation of physcial activity. Comfortable at rest, but less than ordinary activity causes fatigue, palpitation, or dyspnea (shortness of breath).

Class IV (Severe) Unable to carry out any physical activity without discomfort. Symptoms of cardiac insufficiency at rest. If any physical activity is undertaken, discomfort is increased.

Ken

I think you may be confusing classes with grades. Murmurs are graded on a scale of 1-6, based on the volume of the murmur I believe. Someone posted the definitions a long time ago, but I don't remember them exactly. I think 6/6 could be heard without a stethoscope. The cardiologists at Texas Children's, where I was first treated, rarely use 6/6. They prefer 5-6/6. Mine could be heard if I leaned against a wall, or if someone put their ear within 6 inches of my back, but they still didn't use 6/6. Guess they didn't want to scare me!

Grades of Heart Murmurs

Grades of Heart Murmurs

http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/4122/heart2.html

Grade I Very faint; may not be heard in all positions

Grade II Quiet, but heard immediately upon placing stethoscope on chest

Grade III Moderately loud but not associated with a thrill

Grade IV Loud and may be associated with a thrill

Grade V Very loud and associated with a thrill

Grade VI Heard with stethoscope off the chest; accompanied with thrill

Lisa, you're right I did get confused.
Ken, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Kev

Latest posts

Back