Nutrition Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few months ago I got fed up with my weight gain and afraid of the long term damage the extra 30 pounds since surgery would cause. Believing that a balanced diet, poprtion size monitoring and exercise is the true remedy, I went to the Mayo Clinic site and started using their healthy lifestyle diet. Unlike the traditional Food pyrimid pushed by most nutritionist, fruits and vegs are the base of the pyrimid, not carbos. I started lossing about 2 pounds a week then leveled off (Christmas!). No additions but pure food. I would check it out.
BTW tell your cardio that you will go on this diet. Because of the veggies, vitamin k is rampant. It took a good month to "re" regulate me.

carbo

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks Everyone!

Hi Everyone!
I want to thank you all for giving very good advice regarding supplements. I showed my husband some of these posts and he is now going to stop taking those supplements. Why take the chance? It was the Chromium stuff that made him stop. small amounts seem to be ok, but if you take too much, it can be harmful. The amounts on the packages he was taking didn't indicate how much he was getting each time he made a shake. It seems he was also getting some in his daily vitamin along with some of the foods you eat. We still don't know how much he was taking in on a daily basis. But thanks to you all, I finally was able to get him to stop using the supplements.

Thanks Again & Take Care!
Gail

Seasilver sounds harmless enough. I have heard of Pau d'arco, they give it to rats to treat bacterial infections. And anyone who's ever had a sunburn knows the benefits of aloe vera.

This is such an awsome thread !!! I totaly agree with the supplement issue. Some supplements I bought before my surgery don't list the exact amounts in each pill and I think that is really scary for us valve people. I think these supplements people are taking now days are really scary, but I would have never known untill I found this web site. THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S OPINOIN!!!

Multivitamin Without Iron

Multivitamin Without Iron

Regarding the comments by John Cochran concerning "no iron supplements for men".
I concur, at least for men over 55; but I cannot quote a source. (I do not know the impact on younger men and/or women.)
If you are looking for a No-Iron Multivitamin you might check the WalMart vitamins. "One Source"; "Iron Free Dietary Supplement for Adults 50+". Its the one I use. (I should point out that none of my MD's have ever commented on my choice of multivitamins; pro or con.)
Don
AVR; 4/02; CCF; Cosgrove; Bovine Tissue

Wow. has this thread gone wacky! Gail i would encourage your healthy husband to continue taking those shakes. They seem healthier than alot of other eating options that americans chose on a daily basis. I don't seem to understand you people. I tend to get discouraged on all the posts so negative on alternative medicine. Ok continue on gobbing down all your medicines(with their toxins/and side effects), eating your burgers/burger kings/carbs/etc. while staying away from the evil "healthy" vit. K foods so they don't interact with your precious INR/ coumadin levels. Wow what a healthy lifestyle! And then to come down on more natural food options like healthy shakes?-this i can't understand! Sea silver or the vitamin companies i deal with-anything you can do to improve your immune system,protein in diet, bad fat choices,etc,etc, would be of benefit to anyone. Whey Protein isolate/ Soy is an excellant source of high quality protein and one of the oldest foods known to man. It is a staple in asian diets, a complete protein equal to meat,milk, and eggs. It provides all essential amino acids with recent research that has found consuming 25 gm of soy protein/per day may decrease your risk of heart disease when mixed with a low in saturated fat diet. Get a high quality soy shake preferably low glycemic in nature , throw in some great strawberries,blueberries,etc and enjoy a healthy shake!! You know that when you eat those evil "healthy" vit.K greens, evil garlic, evil vit.E,/etc,you can adjust your coumadin accordingly and your body will be healthier for it. Don't let any doctor tell you to avoid those foods because you are now on coumadin! Eat healthy and adjust your coumadin around your healthy lifestyle. Bottom line: whey/soy shakes are GREAT meal replacement options!! I encourage Gail's husband and herself to get some shakes and enjoy adding that healthy protein to their diet. :cool:

Don...

Don...

I wasn't going to post, just read, I was taking the walmart senior multi-vitamins pre-surgery, your right it has no iron, but it does have 13% of vitamin K and vitamin E which should cancel each other out, but with the trouble I've had getting my INR into a therapeutic range I don't want to mess with vitamins just yet.

I'm taking 10mg of coumadin a day, I want to lower that dose a bit.
Terry40

Latest posts

Back