November 1

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwinter

Hello my new friends! I have to admit to being here quite a few times after my first valve replacement so recognize a few of the names.
My aortic valve replacement will be November 1 at Mayo in Rochester, MN. This is not my first but hopefully will be my last.
I had at porcine valve put in 4 years ago when I was 56. That valve has failed and now will be getting a mechanical. I have lots of "story" to share but will fill it in later. I will say I was a full time traveler, living in a 40 ft. motor home the last 9 years "living the life".
I have learned a bit about the numbers so will post I am a .83 with a mean gradient of 42 so I am definitely ready.
Good to join a group that is full of information and a little empathy also.
I think this waiting room has got to be the worst part....................

Welcome to the forum, or welcome back, jwinter. Really sorry to hear your valve of only four years has failed. Your mean gradient certanly has risen a lot from what it should have been when the valve was implanted, no wonder you are getting a mechanical valve this time. Yes, the waiting can be stressful, once it's close you just want to get it done.

Thank you Paleowoman. I want to post to the threads here......really do, but have been trying so hard to keep busy avoiding those surgery "jitters". They are creeping in as the days move forward. I did get my dentist check up paperwork sent in and had to go back and fill those two small cavities yesterday. Dr. Daly said it was a no go until everything was cleaned up and taken care of. Gawwwd I hate going to the dentist (only place you go to actually pay someone to hurt you)
I want all here to know you have one more person here at the forum thinking of you. I can relate to most here having gone down this road before. It is different this time as every time is different for everyone.
Have a family get together tonight and tomorrow so will get back here when that is done and get to some posting.........if I I can keep my head straight enough to post something.
This forum has been and will continue to be invaluable to me.

Welcome and glad you chose mechanical this time.
I had MVR and Tricuspid Repair on May 3,2016 and was in the hospital for 2 weeks.

This forum definitely is supportive of each other.Most people I talk to a more familiar with bypass and stents but they look at you like you have two heads when you explain you've had MVR.

So I'm really happen I found this site...oh I'm also 31 in case you were wondering,

Hi and welcome

jwinter;n869291 said:
Good to join a group that is full of information and a little empathy also.
I think this waiting room has got to be the worst part....................

I think you are spot on about the waiting room being the worst part.

Feel free to lurk, and feel free to keep busy in avoidance, for really whatever gets your through and smiling is what you should do.

We'll be here when you have any questions :)

Oh it is so good to have you all here! It IS. like you say, so foreign to many people. Trina, 31? I thought I was young with my first one at 56. I wish you the very best!
The dentist office I went to knew the protocol and gave me 4-500 mg.tablets to take (all at once) before my two appointments and after that all gathered round to ask me questions--how did you know your valve was bad, how did you know the second time, how can I look so good(had to add as I feel like crap most of time) the surgery, being put on bypass, hospital stay, etc. Even the dentist was curious after he finished telling me how important the health of teeth are for this surgery.
I dread the breathing tube, pulling out the drainage tubes, and fight it going under so those are my big concerns now. The choice of mechanical valve was fairly easy after failure of my mosaic porcine in such a short time............but I do have my concerns about monitoring. I also have PBC (primary billiary cirrhosis) with esophageal varices so blood thinners may be a bit tricky. My liver problem is non-alcoholic so I do enjoy a glass of wine once in awhile so I know that will weigh in on it also.
Anyway......I will be back often as I face these new challenges. I had a hard time with that pump head or whatever it is after last surgery so bear with me as I don't always get the terminology right.

Yep,I'm 31.There was a girl in my cardiac rehab who is 25,and she didn't look so good after MVR.

People ask me all the time what it feels like to have been the youngest on the cardiac unit or when I go to Coumadin Clinic and I'm surrounded by 85 year olds.

it's better than alternative!

wanted to add my welcome back and best wishes, jwinter. As you know, lots of people here with experience and insights and willing to share. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I remember that the waiting room was the absolute worst, but you will soon have that behind you.

jwinter. welcome back and sorry you are enduring another reop. Hopefully it will your last one. What kind of valve are they talking about, St Judes or Onyx? Changes made the chosing better. Just you can remember , come in anytime with questions or to share experiences. You are still here, that is a good sign. You keep hanging in there. Missed you and hugs for today. :)

You know Caroline I am not even sure which valve as when I left Rochester the cardio surgeon was meeting with liver team to be sure my liver will do alright when I am on bypass. Got all the paperwork yesterday from insurance and this is what Mayo said Procedure Code 33405-Replacement, aortic valve, with cardiopulmonary bypass; with prosthetic valve other than homograft or stentless valve. Refilled meds yesterday and will book hotel tomorrow. Had a bad bloody nose this week( I know, everyone gets them) and breathing is getting more difficult. I am not a nap person but have had to lay down during the day or go to bed at 9pm.
I thank you for the thoughts and hugs. Anxiety is setting in :(

Latest posts

Back