News of Peter's surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much for the update on your dad... and please tell him to remember to keep that pillow handy!!!! lol

He is a very lucky man to have such a wonderful family to care for him.

Take care,
Zazzy

Heart Reconfiguring

Heart Reconfiguring

Hi, Peteer,
I can say that my heart had enlarged and thickened up some also and last month at my 1 1/2 years my cardio said everything was back to well within normal limits. So if the damage is not too bad I guess things can go back.

question for Peter

question for Peter

Hi Peter:) It sounds like all is going very well with you..Looking at the number of your posts and the big discussions you are conducting..I would say that the H-L machine did absolutly NO damage to your thinking power at all:)
I have a question for you..you seem to be the resident Guru on Valves..I just spoke with Dr Glower about my surgery on Friday..the man was most patient with all of my questions..wait until I ask more at our Pre-Op meeting on Thursday..he may want to strangle me by then. When I discussed what kind of vale with him..he seemed to think that the way to go was Prcine (I didn't get into it with him what kind of Porcine..I will on Thursday though) Since you are the owner of a nice new OINK valve..what can you tell me of the virtues of Porcine over Bovine...I know that I can try and go back on the forum and read again..but I must say..I'm ay the end of my patience at this point and feeling quite lazy..I think all of these deccisions and the events of the last week have really done me in. When I asked Dr. Glower why Porcine..he felt that it was a smaller valve and might be a better fit.than the Bovine..and he also said..a lot depends on what the hospital contracts for..Hmmm that sort of through me a bit. Because I'm also having a triple bypass the homograft is not a good proceedure for me. I just thought I'd run this past you and get your feeling on Porcine vs Bovine so I could have a more informed talk with him on Thursday..Thanks for your help..and continued good recovery!!
Joan

Procine vs. Bovine

Procine vs. Bovine

Hi Joan --

Happy to share the little I know. They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but that never deterred us, right? ... nor should it, with a few precautions.

There are different varieties of porcine valves, I believe, stented and unstented. I am not very familiar with the "fit" issues. The two particular options I ended up choosing between were, on the porcine side, the new Hancock Medtronics Mosaic, a stented version, I believe, which has been treated to retard calcification; and the Carpentier-Edwards Pericardium bovine valve. As far as I could tell, they both had similar virtues and a track record of lasting up to (or slightly beyond) 15 years, which fit my bill. I gave the Hancock the edge on the advice of my surgeon, because of it experimental anti-calcification properties and because it seemed to have slightly better results in empirical tests, by the articles I read. But both are good options, for sure.

Hope this helps.

Peter

hi joan and peter!
joey is scheduled to have his rp (finally and hopefully) the day after tomorrow. as a back up plan we needed to discuss our options with dr. stelzer. here were some of the things i found interesting..

peter,
it seems that medtronic is now treating most of their porcine valves with anticalcification elements. he feels very strongly in favor of their valves because of this.
in addition, joan... joey would not be a good candidate for a homograft, despite the fact that these supposedly last a little longer than porcines. in a case where resurgery might be necessary, in joey's case, the homograft would most likely calcify to the point where it would make removal and "cleaning out and preparing the area for a new valve" a difficult task (vs. in the case of the porcine medtronic)

have you looked into the cryolife synergraft? peter was once thinking of it... we entertained it for the pulmonary position in joey's rp. and mara has one. dr. stelzer felt that he hasn't had enough history with it (it's only 2 yrs old_no long term studies yet), but he said that dr. elkins in oklahoma is putting them in everyone he does these days!

good luck and please let us know what you decide. i will be thinking of you as i sit through joey's surgery.
-sylvia

My surgeon, Dr. Tomas Martin at Shands, has done some Cryovalve SGs (which are really reprocessed or re-engineered homografts) and Steve Wieland, who is often on these forums, has one (and is doing very well indeed with it). The Cryovalve SG is washed genetically in such a way that the implanted valve is really a collagen matrix intended to repopulate itself with the recipient's own stem cells. It has worked in animal trials and seems to be working in the few recent recipients who died for other reasons and who were checked. If it works, likely life of valve is upwards of 25 years, maybe quasi-permanent. If it doesn't work, then you're talking 8 or 10 years likely, as a pulmonary homograft is naturally less sturdy than an aortic one.

So, as I said on earlier threads, it appears to be a bit of a roll of the dice, but a very good one. Steve is very satisfied. I decided against it simply because I decided that, at my age and stage (59 but with young teenagers) pretty good certainty for the next 15+ years (e.g. with Medtronics Mosaic) was preferable to 8-10 years certain and a good possibility of 20-25+.

Peter

Peter
Wow, that will teach me to stay away from here for a week or so. My heavens. You are through!! I was still praying, cause I hadnt checked in. Well, I guess they will still work, since your recovery seems superb.

So glad you have skated through this so well. Your family is something else. What a great group. Keep up the good work!

for Sylvia and Peter

for Sylvia and Peter

Thanks so much to both of you for the infomation. Sylvia it looks like Joey and I will be in the same state of deep sleep together Friday. I hope that you and Allan (my husband) both do well!!
The Homograft was out for me because I'm also having a triple bypass and the grafts would be to close to the aortic root as I understand it. I go for Pre-op on Thursday and I will discuss the type of Porcine valve with Dr. Glower..it sounds like the Medtronic is the way to go..if they use it at Duke..that is what I need to find out...of course if they should also have to do the Mitral valve (I pray that they won't) then all bets are off..because they would use a mechanical for that and then would due the AVR with a mechanical as well. So for me there seem to be a lot of unknownss..or last minute decisions that will be made when I'm on the table. I wish that I could know ahead of time (control freak that I am) but for me..I guess its not meant to go that way.
I wish Joey a speedy recovery and I hope that my husband will post and give you guys the news of my surgery when he can.
Best wishes to all who may be going in for surgery while I can't get to the computer.
Joan

Three cheers, Joan. You are in my thoughts and prayers. May your operation be surrounded by a gentle envelope of the spiritual concern of all you friends here and of the Good Lord.

Peter

Hi Peter,

You looked great the other day. Seems like Dr. Martin did another bangup job!

I would expect that you will continue to feel better and better as you heal, and also better over the next year or so as your heart returns to normal size. I've also heard that as the heart reduces back to normal, sometimes minor symptoms like mild arrhythmias result. You might check into that.

Otherwise, you've obviously arrived at this side of the mountain in great shape and with full intellectual capacities intact. Can't ask for much more than that!

hi joan!
think of us while you're in pre-op tomorrow. joey is scheduled for 6 am and i hear they really stick to that. we went to a holiday dinner at our niece's house monday night and joey came down with a tickle in his throat and a bit of a sore throat. when we told them about it today at pre-op, they drew about 6 vials of blood (he's ok with that though_ unlike me, the needle phobic). when we called dr.stelzer's office to see if we were still all clear for tomorrow, he said joey's white blood count was marginally high but that he felt comfortable going ahead with it. so, we have our green light.

i could cry when i think of tomorrow. the wait has been so painful and difficult. especially with last week's episode and having to postpone the surgery at the last second (after mentally preparing for it).

i can't wait for joey to be "on the other side of the mountain" as bob puts it.
bless you and i will be thinking of you. we truly wish you all the best and hope (for your sake, i can totally relate) that there are no unexpected surprises on that table.

i'll try and keep you posted. everyone here has been incrediby supportive and giving. thank you all.
-sylvia

Latest posts

Back