Newbie - BAVR and now a flap / dissection near the aortic root?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boneysjoint

Hi Everyone

My name is Sue and I am posting on behalf of my Hubby, John.

He was diagnosed with BAV in June this year and had this replaced with a porcine valve in August. All went well with the op, he had Atrial fibrillation 2 days later, this was corrected with cardioversion on the 5th day post op which did the trick.

He has been recovering very well and was almost back to "normal" when last wednesday he had chest pains an hour or so after eating dinner. He had been bending over sorting out wires so we thought indigestion but when two doses of Gaviscon didn't do anything I called and ambulance and John was taken to The London Chest hospital which deals primarily with emergency heart problems.

He had an ultrasound, ecg, blood test etc on arrival. We were told the results were inconclusive but doubted a heart attack. The following day John had a CT Scan with dye injected in his arm. We were told the results showed Aortic dissection near the root, he was preped to be rushed down for surgery, but then after further ultrasound it was decided that they would put John under general anesthetic the following morning and perform a Trans oesuphagul echo, if the op needed to be done then they would carry straight on if not bring him round for further investigations.

The op did not go ahead, we were told there was a small tear in the aorta near the root and a haematoma both of which appeared to be old (over 2 weeks I believe) and possibly occured after the BAVR. Also, the pain that John went to the hospital with in the first place was probably indigestion after all. There is a comment on the hospital release form that the CT images are more in keeping with a flap rather than dissection?? This has confused us both, and I am soooooo scared about all this.

John was sent home yesterday with blood pressure lowering meds, told not to lift, excert himself, slow walking is ok, no treadmill etc and keep blood pressure around 110/70.

We have an appointment tomorrow to see the Surgeon who performed the BAVR back in August hopefully to gain some more info on the long term.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, i.e being sent home with this kind of thing?

Any comments or advice would be gratefully received.

Take care

Sue & John

Sue & John,

I don't have any useful experience, just an observation. It does sound like John's case was investigated thoroughly before he was sent home, and he got fairly detailed instructions to tide him over until the surgeon's consultation. Still, I would probably be distraught in his situation.

I hope you will return to let us know what you found out. (Especially the definition of 'flap'--is it a fold rather than a tear in the aorta?) Try to get some rest and don't drive yourself nuts searching the internet.

Thank you for your kind words Debbie,

John did see the surgeon today, it was more positive than negative, thats for sure. He showed us the Images from the CT Scan and pointed out a dark line which was causing all the concern. He explained that this, in his and the consultant at the hospital's opinion, feel that it is a haemotoma and that it will be reabsorbed by the body, there is a flap of tissue that wafts about with John heart beat. He also explained that it is contained and if it was a tear it has no where to go as this has happened below the line of stitches that John has after the BAVR he had in August. He has advised John, that as a precaution,not to lift anything heavy, to keep a good check on his blood pressure and aim for 110/70 there abouts, no pushing eg. lawnmower etc or over excersion.

He can go for walks, go to work (as it is office work), have a couple of beers here and there, drive, live a fairly normal life until the next scan. Mostly listen to his body.

John has got to go back in 10-12 weeks for another CT Scan to check if there is any change. The surgeons opinion is that it will eventually disappear and life will go back to normal and John can carry on with his recovery from the BAVR.

You are right though Debbie, I have been trolling the internet trying to find info, but it is all just soooo scary. Thank heavens for this site!!

At least John and I have some peace of mind now.

Thank you for your reply.

Take care

Sue & John

Latest posts

Back